Thinking about opening a patent drafting services business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Characteristics of a Good Patent Drafting Services Company Business Plan
Your patent drafting services company's business plan should be tailored to your business's unique traits and goals. However, the most effective business plans do address specific sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – Your description of your patent drafting services business's reason for existing.
- Goals & Objectives – The end results of your company's business activities.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Each of these plans covers a specific aspect of your patent drafting services business's strategy and direction.
Don't Overlook the Competition
Well in advance of opening a patent drafting services business in your town, it's worthwhile to determine what the competition looks like. Use the link below to generate a list of competitors in your city. Complete the form by entering your city, state and zip code to get a list of patent drafting services businesses that are close by.
Before you open up shop, make sure you know what you will offer to your customers that provides a significant advantage over your competition's offering.
Learning More About the Industry
If you are seriously contemplating launching a patent drafting services business, it's a smart move to learn from folks who are already in business. It's very unlikely that the local competition will talk to you. It'd be crazy for them to teach you the business.
Fortunately, somebody who runs a patent drafting services business outside of your community may be more than happy to give you a few tips, as long as they don't view you as a competitive threat. In fact, they are often very willing to share startup advice with you. In my experience, you may have to call ten business owners in order to find one who is willing to share his wisdom with you.
How does one quickly and easily locate a patent drafting services business entrepreneur that lives outside of your area?
We can help. Follow the link below, try a few city/state combos or zipcodes, and then start calling!
Top Three Reasons to Buy an Established Patent Drafting Services Business
For years, street-smart entrepreneurs have known that whenever possible, it's more advantageous to buy an existing patent drafting services business than it is to start one from scratch.
Due diligence and other business buying requirements are essential. But there are several reasons why buying a patent drafting services business may still be your best bet.
- Initial Revenue. If you're careful in your research, the patent drafting services business you buy will have a track record of profitability – a big plus since it may take months or even years for a startup to turn a profit.
- Operational Efficiency. When you're shopping for a patent drafting services business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Funding. Lenders, investors and other funding sources almost always prefer business purchases to startups.
Explore Franchising Options
Recognize that your chances of making a success of your new business are substantially improved if you become a franchisee and benefit from the prior work of others and their lessons learned.
Prior to making the decision to open a patent drafting services business, you may want to investigate whether there are good franchise opportunities available that might make your life much easier.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These additional resources regarding starting a business may be of interest to you.
If you already are in business and came here to learn about growing an existing patent drafting services business, try these useful resources:
If you came here to learn about selling to patent drafting services businesses, we've got better information for you elsewhere on our site. These resources are more appropriate for you:
If you are interested in starting a different kind of business, please browse our directory of guides below.