Thinking about opening a drapery and curtain alterations business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Characteristics of a Good Drapery & Curtain Alterations Company Business Plan
Looking for a one-size-fits-all business plan? Good luck. . . because it doesn't exist. Yet good business plans universally hit on sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – A foundational statement of your company's direction and strategy.
- Goals & Objectives – A list of mile markers on your drapery and curtain alterations business's road to success.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Each of these plans covers a specific aspect of your drapery and curtain alterations business's strategy and direction.
Don't Overlook Competitors
Prior to launching a drapery and curtain alterations business in your area, it's a smart move to determine how many competitors you have. Try our link below to get a list of local competitors in your city. After clicking on the link, type in your city, state and zip code to get a list of drapery and curtain alterations businesses near you.
How are you going to successfully complete with existing firms? It's important that you never underestimate the competition.
Find Good Remote Business Advice
After you've evaluated your local competitors, it's a wise move to learn from folks who are already in business. It's very unlikely that the local competition will talk to you. Why would they want to educate a future competitor?
Fortunately, somebody who runs a drapery and curtain alterations business in a location that is not competitive to you can be a great learning resource for you, after they realize you reside far away from them and won't be stealing their local customers. In fact, they are often very willing to share startup advice with you. It can take a while to find an entrepreneur who is willing to talk, but it's well worth the effort.
How do you locate a drapery and curtain alterations business owner who is willing to talk to you but doesn't live nearby?
Easy. Find them using our link below and start calling until you are successful.
Three Arguments for Buying a Drapery & Curtain Alterations Business
It's almost always preferable to buy a drapery and curtain alterations business than to pursue a drapery and curtain alterations business startup.
You'll want to conduct a comprehensive due diligence process, but here are three arguments why you should think about buying instead of a startup.
- Initial Revenue. If you're careful in your research, the drapery and curtain alterations business you buy will have a track record of profitability – a big plus since it may take months or even years for a startup to turn a profit.
- Established Operations & Processes. When you're shopping for a drapery and curtain alterations business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Funding. With several years of operations under its belt, a purchased company is much more appealing to lenders and investors interested in avoiding the risk of an unproven startup.
If you don't want to have to do everything on your own, your best bet may be exploring leveraging the success of an established franchise network.
Before opening a drapery and curtain alterations business, you would be wise to assess whether franchise opportunities in your space might be worth investigating.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These additional resources regarding starting a business may be of interest to you.
If you already are in business and came here to learn about growing an existing drapery and curtain alterations business, these resources will come in handy:
If you sell to drapery and curtain alterations businesses, you're in the wrong place. Try these resources instead:
If you are interested in starting a different kind of business, please browse our directory of guides below.