Thinking about opening a ferry services business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Elements of a Ferry Services Company Business Plan
Your ferry services company's business plan should be tailored to your business's unique traits and goals. However, the most effective business plans do address specific sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – Your description of your ferry services business's reason for existing.
- Goals & Objectives – Goals are broad targets; objectives are the tactics you'll use to reach your goals.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Specific plans that describe your business environment, demographic targets and quantitative estimates.
Look Over Competitors
Long before you open a ferry services business within your community, it's a smart move to find out what the competition looks like. Try our link below to find competitors nearby. Simply enter your city, state and zip code to get a list of ferry services businesses in your town.
Prior to opening your doors for business, be sure you fully understand the competitive landscape and where your new business will fit in.
Turning Competitors Into Collaborators
If you are interested in starting a ferry services business, you really ought to have a conversation with someone who is in the business. It's very unlikely that the local competition will talk to you. The last thing they want to do is help you to be a better competitor.
However, a fellow entrepreneur who has started a ferry services business outside of your community can be a great learning resource for you, given that you don't compete with them in their area. In fact, they are often very willing to share startup advice with you. It can take a while to find an entrepreneur who is willing to talk, but it's well worth the effort.
Where can an aspiring entrepreneur like you find a ferry services business manager on the other side of the country to talk to?
Easy. Find them using our link below and start calling until you are successful.
Top Three Reasons to Buy an Established Ferry Services Business
It's almost always preferable to buy a ferry services business than to pursue a ferry services business startup.
You'll want to conduct a comprehensive due diligence process, but here are three arguments why you should think about buying instead of a startup.
- Initial Revenue. Startups struggle to bring in revenue right out of the gate while existing businesses usually have a steady stream of income.
- Established Operations & Processes. When you're shopping for a ferry services business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Capital Acquisition. With several years of operations under its belt, a purchased company is much more appealing to lenders and investors interested in avoiding the risk of an unproven startup.
The probabilities on your doing well in business are much greater if you become a franchisee and leverage their successful brand and track record.
Before opening a ferry services business, you should investigate whether purchasing a franchise might help you on your entrepreneurial journey.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These additional resources regarding getting started as an entrepreneur may be of interest to you.
If you already are in business and came here to learn about growing an existing ferry services business, try these useful resources:
If you sell to ferry services businesses, you're in the wrong place. These resources are more appropriate for you:
If you are interested in starting a different kind of business, please browse our directory of guides below.