|| Home > Small Business News
Breaking Entrepreneurial News
Small Business Marketing News
Small business marketing news can give you an edge over the competition. On a daily basis, we cover breaking entrepreneurial news that helps smart business owners track marketing trends and tap into some great small business marketing ideas.
- Video Marketing Tips for Small Businesses - 5/10/2013 - Wasp Barcode Technologies offers 5 tips to help SMBs use video marketing to reach new, online audiences.
- Is China the Right Market for Small Businesses? - 5/9/2013 - The Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council outlines the opportunities and risks small businesses face when targeting Chinese markets.
- Marketers Planning to Spend More on Online Brand Advertising - 5/3/2013 - Brand advertising has finally broken through the digital wall as marketers report a renewed interest in online brand advertising.
- Customer Satisfaction with Energy Utilities Hits Record High - 4/25/2013 - Energy industry satisfaction shows how small businesses can use pricing strategies and price stability to improve customer relationships.
- Restaurants Generate a Third of All Social Media Conversations for Brands - 4/12/2013 - PQ Media/uberVU Research study also shows that men outpace women in initiating brand-related social dialogues.
- Where are SMBs Spending Their Marketing Dollars? - 4/10/2013 - New study shows that small and medium-sized businesses are spending the largest share of their marketing budgets on email.
- LinkedIn and Twitter Use Surges in Small Businesses - 4/2/2013 - Constant Contact reports that the successful use of LinkedIn and Twitter in small businesses has more than tripled since May 2012.
- Retail Sales Up Slightly in February - 3/20/2013 - NRF reports modest monthly retail growth in February as consumers adjust spending habits to payroll tax increase and other factors.
- Facebook May Finally Be Gaining Ground in the Small Business Sector - 3/13/2013 - Small business owners are increasingly using pages and promoted posts to engage social channel consumers.
- Google Enters the B2B eCommerce Space - 3/7/2013 - Following Amazon's lead, Google leaps into the B2B eCommerce space with Google Shopping for Suppliers. But are these sites what B2B buyers and sellers really need?
- Text Marketing for Small Businesses - 2/27/2013 - Consumers are texting in record numbers. Now small businesses are getting in on the game with text marketing strategies designed to attract new and existing customers to their brands.
- U.S. Consumers Still Spending On Small Luxuries Despite Economic Uncertainty - 2/22/2013 - STORES/BigInsight survey shows that Americans continue to buy small luxury items in the midst of a shaky economy.
- Retail Sales Expected to Grow 3.4% in 2013 - 2/13/2013 - National Retail Federation releases modest growth projection based on a lack of disposable income and lagging consumer confidence.
- Growth Hacking Buzzword Launches Viral Campaign to Raise Awareness - 1/29/2013 - The phrase "growth hacking" appears to have launched a massive social marketing campaign to raise awareness and grow its online following.
- Big Brand Customer Service Falls Short on Twitter - 1/23/2013 - A basic tenet of social marketing is to engage with customers who talk about you, but some of the best companies in the United States don't address customer concerns that are voiced on Twitter.
- Why Small Businesses Need Small Screen Websites - 1/11/2013 - Study shows that mobile-optimized websites have become a fundamental element for small businesses struggling to achieve online success.
- Social Media Tips for Small Businesses - 1/9/2013 - Many small business owners have resolved to get serious about social media in 2013. But some social media strategies are more effective than others at delivering customers to your doorstep.
- B2B Firms Struggle to Target Messaging to Key Customer Segments - 1/8/2013 - Study shows that B2B marketers are falling behind in their efforts to connect with the right customers.
- Marketing to Millenials - 1/2/2013 - Today's young adult consumers appreciate technology but crave personal interactions, says marketing education firm Logix9.
- Small Businesses Reap Biggest Gains from Increased Holiday Spending - 12/21/2012 - A joint MasterCard/Wells Fargo report shows that consumers spent more at local small businesses at the start of the 2012 holiday shopping season.
- Staples and LinkedIn Unveil Joint Small Business Initiative - 12/10/2012 - New small business network group, SUCCEED, will offer advice, connections and networking opportunities for entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Online Jewelry Entrepreneur Mines Facebook for Small Business Success - 12/3/2012 - Startup jewelry e-tailer is on track to top $2 million in Year One revenue thanks to Facebook sales.
- Consumers Highly Satisfied with Food Industry, But Apparel Fails to Impress - 11/27/2012 - ACSI Index shows that overall U.S. customer satisfaction continues to struggle in Q3 amid lackluster economic growth.
- Are Daily Deals Dead? - 11/20/2012 - With Groupon having released another disappointing earnings report, many small business owners are wondering whether the glory days of the daily deal are already over.
- Small Businesses Gear Up for Small Business Saturday - 11/13/2012 - With Small Business Saturday just around the corner, business owners are taking steps to incorporate the November 24th event into their holiday retail strategies.
- Small Business Inbound Marketing by the Numbers - 11/11/2012 - Business2Community publishes HubSpot statistics measuring the effectiveness of common inbound marketing tactics for small businesses.
- B2B Firms Embrace Content Marketing Despite Misgivings - 11/1/2012 - Although B2B firms are increasing their investments in content marketing, many are skeptical about whether or not it has any impact on their companies' bottom lines.
- Boutique Retail Strategies for the 2012 Holiday Retail Season - 10/24/2012 - More and more consumers are doing their holiday shopping online. Yet certain market segments still present big opportunities to small, brick-and-mortar retailers.
- Facebook Makes the Case for Impressions Over Clicks - 10/9/2012 - Social media giant Facebook teams up with Datalogix to argue that ad impressions are a more important factor than clicks in driving sales and other business outcomes.
- Older Travelers Become a Potential Profit Center for Travel & Hospitality Industry - 10/1/2012 - The growing 65-and-older set loves to travel -- but to cash in, hotel chains need to be prepared to accommodate the needs and preferences of older travelers.
- The 10 "Most Loved" Brands on Social Media - 9/18/2012 - DigitalCoCo releases Consumer Sentiment Index (CSI) naming Starbucks as U.S. consumers' favorite brand based on social media mentions.
- Chicago Sees Triple Digit Increases in Mobile Ad Revenues - 9/14/2012 - Spending in the financial/insurance, technology and real estate categories is driving mobile revenue gains in Chicago and around the nation.
- Mobile Marketing and Advertising Present Big Opportunities for Savvy Business Owners - 9/8/2012 - With the rapid proliferation of smartphones and other mobile devices, companies contemplating mobile marketing initiatives can no longer afford to sit on the sidelines.
- Microsoft Unveils New Logo - 9/7/2012 - New logo delivers an updated aesthetic as the brand gears up to release new versions of existing products.
- Hot Retail Trends Include Organic Groceries, High End Fitness Apparel and Mobile - 8/30/2012 - List of the nation's fastest growing retail brands points to the retail trends that are scoring big points with consumers.
- Are Daily Deals Still a Good Deal for Small Businesses? - 8/28/2012 - As daily deals trend downward, it's more important than ever for small business owners to understand the nuances of daily deals before they commit to a promotion.
- U.S. Consumers Participate in Five or More Multiple Customer Loyalty Programs - 8/16/2012 - Most Americans participate in multiple loyalty programs, demonstrating why customer loyalty needs to be a part of every small business sales and marketing strategy.
- Facebook Customer Satisfaction Experiences Sharp Decline - 8/8/2012 - Social media is down as search engines lead the e-business sector in customer satisfaction ratings.
- Growing Hispanic Market Segment Shows Strong Preference for Thirst Quenchers and Imports - 8/6/2012 - Cultural traditions and other factors drive beverage trends among Hispanics and create opportunities for entrepreneurs in the Latino community.
- Do Green Home Labels Make a Difference? - 7/30/2012 - New report shows the measurable impact of green home construction practices in California's real estate market.
- The ROI of Social Media - 7/28/2012 - New research shows that marketing professionals are struggling to attach measurable ROI to social media spend, even though they are convinced social media is an important marketing resource.
- Daily Deals Continue to Deliver Results for Newer, Smaller Businesses - 7/9/2012 - Rice University study shows that the daily deal industry is thriving even though some have questioned the concept's long-term viability.
- Retail Sales Slump in June - 7/7/2012 - Target, Costco and other major retailers miss monthly goals as U.S. retail fails to capitalize on momentum generated earlier in 2012.
- Small Business Owners Prioritize New Customers, New Technologies - 6/27/2012 - Research shows that small business owners see the acquisition of new customers and the deployment of emerging technologies as the top factors business growth.
- Airline Satisfaction Ratings Improve Among Business and Leisure Travelers - 6/21/2012 - Despite their lackluster reputation, airlines are slowly beginning to win back their customers' approval, according to a recent consumer satisfaction index.
- Internet Advertising Sets New Record in the First Quarter of 2012 - 6/12/2012 - Internet advertising during Q1 2012 totaled $8.4 billion -- an impressive 15% increase from Q1 2011.
- Customer Service Tips for Summer Employees - 6/8/2012 - Customer service strategist offers tips to help small business owners educate teenagers and other part-time summer workers about great customer service.
- How Consumers Are Changing the Sales Process - 6/6/2012 - Technology is changing the way businesses sell products and services. But consumer trends and preferences continue to have the biggest impact on the sales process.
- Small Businesses Prefer to Partner with Other Small Businesses - 5/28/2012 - Small business owners express a desire to work with businesses and leaders that understand the issues small companies face.
- Changing Demographics and the New Marketing Reality - 5/23/2012 - With minorities now comprising more than half of all U.S. births, businesses need to be more proactive about incorporating multiculturalism into their marketing strategies.
- Yahoo! Releases Free Online Marketing Management Tool for Small Businesses - 5/7/2012 - Yahoo! Small Business's Marketing Dashboard tool will help SMBs identify marketing opportunities and more effectively manage their online reputations.
- Debit Card Swipe Fees Lower, But May Still Be Too High for Retailers - 5/7/2012 - Despite a Fed report that debit card swipe fees have dropped significantly since 2011 reforms took effect, the NRF maintains that fees are still too out of line.
- Healthcare, Hiring and Economic Recovery Concerns Agitate Small Business Owners - 5/1/2012 - The latest Manta SMB Wellness Index shows that small business owners are hesitating when it comes to new business activity and planned 2012 initiatives.
- Less Than One in Five SMB Websites Feature Links to Social Media - 4/19/2012 - Despite widespread agreement about the value of a social media presence, few small businesses are fully engaged in the social space.
- Supply Chain Vendors Resist Using Social Media for CRM - 4/8/2012 - At least a third of businesses indicate a desire for more social media interaction from the vendors in their supply chains.
- Easter sales expected to surpass $16 billion mark - 4/2/2012 - Candy, apparel, food and other traditional favorites continue to be this season's top Easter spending categories.
- Why businesses aren't making the most of QR codes - 3/29/2012 - Many companies and small businesses are failing to make the best use of QR (Quick Response) codes in their marketing campaigns.
- SMBs leverage web and social media to achieve growth, says Citibank - 3/23/2012 - Small businesses are becoming more willing to rely on digital sales and marketing strategies to connect with consumers.
- Many marketers are falling behind in the use of data and metrics - 3/22/2012 - In a recent survey of marketers, Crain's BtoB Magazine has found that while many marketers are failing to keep pace with the evolution of the digital marketplace, significant opportunities exist for B2B marketers to expand their strategies and achieve meaningful short-term gains.
- Retail sales achieve important growth milestone - 3/15/2012 - In February, retail sales grew for the twentieth consecutive month, recording an 8.6% gain over sales at this time last year.
- Businesses struggling to hire qualified sales reps - 3/13/2012 - A recent study by Manpower Group shows that experienced and qualified sales personnel are in short supply during the spring 2012 hiring season.
- Chinese eCommerce skyrockets - 3/5/2012 - Despite challenges, China's eCommerce industry experiences dramatic year-over-year gains.
- The Pinterest curve for small businesses - 2/14/2012 - Social media newcomer, Pinterest, is growing by leaps and bounds -- and many small businesses are racing to position themselves ahead of the Pinterest curve.
- Privacy concerns may limit marketing in the social media space - 2/9/2012 - Study shows that while demand for social media access is still strong, privacy concerns may limit marketers' ability to influence consumers through social media.
- Small businesses adopt vintage sales tactics to target the Boomer Generation - 12/27/2011 - Today's young sales force relies on selling techniques that alienate the generation with the highest disposable income.
- Hot restaurant menu trends for 2012 - 12/19/2011 - National Restaurant Association releases list of growing trends in restaurant menus for the coming year.
- Survey finds SMB marketers struggle to nail down ROI for social media, SEO and other channels - 12/16/2011 - Despite high expectations in the areas of measurement and return, accurate ROI tracking remains an elusive goal for many SMB marketers.
- In holiday retail, the customer isn't always right - 12/9/2011 - Faced with a crush of holiday shoppers, retailers are taking a more informed approach to customer service.
- NRF survey predicts brisk Black Friday sales, sophisticated consumer shopping patterns - 11/23/2011 - NRF survey predicts brisk Black Friday sales, sophisticated consumer shopping patterns
- New survey indicates large majority of Americans favor small businesses; leery about corporate profits - 11/16/2011 - A new annual survey commissioned by the Public Affairs Council reveals Americans' views on businesses and the marketplace.
- Department of Commerce and FedEx team up to launch new export initiative to help SMBs sell more overseas - 11/14/2011 - Global Buyers Initiative will assist small businesses in identifying experienced foreign buyers for products manufactured in the U.S.
- Google+ pages rollout is a win for brands and businesses - 11/9/2011 - The newly released Google+ pages feature gives businesses a new and potentially powerful social networking channel.
- Small businesses race to prepare for Small Business Saturday - 11/8/2011 - With Thanksgiving just around the corner, several organizations are offering resources designed to help small business owners take advantage of increased selling opportunities this holiday season.
- Groupon raises $700m in IPO despite widespread skepticism - 11/4/2011 - Online coupon king, Groupon, increases the size of its IPO, but many investors still aren't convinced about the company's ability to deliver over the long-term.
- Nevada companies get help marketing to global markets - 11/2/2011 - Nevada firms that market abroad can get subsidies for marketing expenses.
- Mentoring resources and information for small business owners - 10/17/2011 - Small business owners can find valuable resources at education institutions and through programs offered by large corporations.
- Marketing solutions to help SMBs grow - 10/12/2011 - As the small business sector is experiencing the most growth in the economy, many companies are designing services and products specifically tailored to meet the evolving marketing needs of SMBs.
- SMBs should focus on strong marketing tools, not celebrity endorsements - 10/10/2011 - Small businesses should avoid celebrity investors and endorsements because of the potential of negative feedback if the famous individual were to be involved in a controversy.
- Matching small businesses with agencies, contractors and consumers - 10/7/2011 - The current economic climate should push entrepreneurs and small business owners to reach out to new professional partners and target consumer bases to make sure every avenue of growth has been explored.
- Small business public relations best practices - 10/4/2011 - Social media tools have evolved into the preferred method of public relations for many SMBs. However, to be an effective communication tool, the messages sent from the accounts must be coherent, and should be backed up by active networking efforts.
- Tools and strategies available to small businesses - 9/21/2011 - Federal agencies and academic institutions are doing their part to help small businesses succeed. The SBA and MBDA are hosting a conference to devise business strategies to help small firms experience growth.
- Savvy small business owners see benefit in social media - 9/9/2011 - Social media can drive up sales and increase customer retention for small and medium-sized businesses.
- SMBs worried about economy but confident in their coping strategies - 9/7/2011 - Small business optimism for the next year is up compared to sentiment from earlier this year.
- Small businesses to get Google boost - 8/31/2011 - Websites don't have to mean a money drain and hours of work, and Google is setting out to help the country's small businesses gain an effective presence on the web.
- American Express offers new business credit card - 8/22/2011 - Small businesses with an American Express OPEN card will be able to take advantage of new perks aimed at improving their online presence. The tools will help them manage their online reputations, advertising and paid search campaigns.
- How to get 'real' followers on Twitter - 8/12/2011 - Getting Twitter followers is a passion for many small businesses, but it turns out that the key is getting the right types of followers, according to one expert.
- Small business may be apathetic about social media, eMarketer says - 8/9/2011 - Social media may be the hot topic in many circles, but it's not a pressing matter for most business owners.
- Small businesses need to have money for social media - 8/4/2011 - Hiring interns to perform your small business's social media campaign? According to Neal Schaffer, you might want to rethink your approach.
- Small businesses need to know how to work social media - 8/4/2011 - Social media offers a conduit to customers and prospects. But for many small businesses, it's still a hit and miss business activity.
- Daily deal sites see revenue grow, but some businesses overwhelmed - 8/3/2011 - Do daily deal sites work too well for small business? Some entrepreneurs are finding themselves overwhelmed by promotions throug Groupon and other sites.
- Small business needs to engage brand advocates - 8/3/2011 - Brand advocates are taking center stage in small business social media strategies says Lisa Barone, co-founder and chief branding officer at internet marketing company Outspoken Media.
- What small businesses need to know about social media website Klout - 8/2/2011 - Frustrated by social media? Klout helps entrepreneurs improve their company's online influence with social media metrics and other tools.
- Small business marketers must cater to what audience care about - 8/1/2011 - Marketing expert David Meerman Scott says that for small businesses, going viral is all about the message - not the product.
- Most small business Facebook fans aren't local, study shows - 8/1/2011 - Roost Local Scorecard indicates that small businesses are failing to connect with local customers using Facebook and other social media sites.
- Marketing expert says small businesses must change with the times - 7/29/2011 - According to one small business marketing guru, a few simple strategies can help your company compete effectively in any business environment.
- Google tries to draw in more small businesses with new ad program - 7/29/2011 - Google's AdWords Express improves the ability of small businesses to target local consumers through search ads.
- Small businesses must keep social networking a unified presence - 7/27/2011 - The full impact of social media is being blunted by mistakes and missteps in the execution of SMB social media strategies.
- Small businesses should 'celebrate independence' - 7/18/2011 - Jamillah Warner of Small Business Trends recently wrote said small businesses should still take the time to celebrate their independence, or the freedom to be able to creatively think on its feet.
- Small businesses need to use social media as 'word of mouth' marketing - 7/12/2011 - Social media bridges the trust divide between brands and consumers by offering a convenient, word of mouth marketing device.
- Can social media help a small business? - 7/11/2011 - Entrepreneurs should ask themselves a few quick questions before starting up their social media presence.
- Most consumers use daily deal sites for gifts - 7/11/2011 - On the fence about daily deal sites? Maybe the latest consumer use stats will change your mind.
- Atlanta agency to help small businesses social media marketing - 6/29/2011 - An Atlanta creative agency has started a program to help small businesses market through social media.
- Yellow Pages still a go to source for consumers - 6/13/2011 - Study finds consumers use print and online Yellow Pages more than search engines to find local businesses.
- Newt Gingrich rallies behind small business owners - 5/31/2011 - Newt Gingrich is an owner of four small businesses - the majority of which were designed to benefit his brand or promote his public appearances.
- Online visibility a key for small business owners - 5/31/2011 - An upcoming workshop will educate small business owners about the advantages of an effective website.
- Traditional marketing outlets losing steam among small businesses - 5/27/2011 - The growing acceptance of social media marketing tactics among small business owners is prevalent in a recent MerchantCircle survey.
- Social media to be a significant player in small business promotional campaigns - 5/26/2011 - Facebook is being used more often by small business owners for promotion in 2011 than it was in 2010.
- Local initiative reinvests in Pennsylvania community - 5/24/2011 - The Buy Local Network program offers ways for Fayette County, Pennsylvania, residents to give back to their community.
- Small businesses benefit from partnership - 5/18/2011 - Strategic alliance between PR Newswire and BizDeals is a win-win for both sides.
- Week long celebration honors small businesses - 5/6/2011 - National Small Business Person of the Year will be announced during National Small Business Week.
- Digital is top revenue generator for advertising and marketing agencies in 2010 - 4/25/2011 - Digital services are the top revenue generators for advertising agencies, signaling greater adoption by businesses.
- Facebook and AmEx partner to launch small business contest - 4/21/2011 - Facebook and American Express OPEN partner to sponsor small business contest.
- Boost social media ROI with personalized attention - 4/18/2011 - Businesses should use social media to personalize their messages for consumers.
- Using a celebrity's misfortunes to advertise a business - 4/15/2011 - One small business' decision to hire Michael Vick demonstrates the perils and payoffs of celebrity endorsements.
- 'Content hierarchy' can help consumers stay engaged with a business website - 4/12/2011 - Websites should organize content by looking at sub-headings, bullet points and white spaces.
- Blogging mistakes to avoid - 3/24/2011 - Bloggers need to avoid presentation-like writing.
- Groupon introduces new time sensitive mobile app - 3/23/2011 - Groupon has introduced a new version of its smartphone application.
- New group purchasing website offers deals to small business owners - 3/21/2011 - BizyDeals.com offers daily deals a la Groupon but for small business owners.
- Small businesses aid quake victims - 3/17/2011 - Small businesses are leveraging products and promotions to help victims of Japan's earthquake.
- Brands must erect barriers to the competition - 3/15/2011 - Brand should communicate with consumers through their personality and common interests.
- Proposal to cut Yellow Pages delivery raises ire of small business groups - 3/9/2011 - San Francisco considering making Yellow Pages delivery an opt-in program.
- Twitter use among SMBs doubles between 2009 and 2010 - 3/7/2011 - Small business use of Twitter more than doubled during 2010.
- Zip codes are out of bounds for California retailers - 2/28/2011 - A recent decision from the California Supreme Court bars retailers from asking for consumers' zip codes.
- Online coupon marketing depends on planning - 2/28/2011 - Groupon has proved to be a blessing and a curse for many small businesses. However, experts say it's all in the planning.
- Senator urges small businesses to go online - 2/24/2011 - Montana Senator urges local businesses to adopt online and social media strategies at a recent event.
- Study results show care must be taken in small business marketing investment - 2/4/2011 - Research from ForeSee Results indicates the newest technology might not be the right marketing channel in all cases.
- Research indicates digital video set to be wave of the future for online marketing - 2/3/2011 - Shifting advertising dollars to the online video sector could be a smart move, one company says.
- Small business owners should understand techniques of market research - 2/3/2011 - Market research is an important tool for small businesses.
- Search engine spat could be bad news for small businesses - 2/2/2011 - Microsoft and Google square off over search results
- Facebook still most popular social media site for small business - 1/26/2011 - Facebook is still tops among social media for small businesses, with nearly 30 percent making use of the site.
- Small businesses should use social media to fish for customer suggestions - 1/25/2011 - Crowdsourcing helps small businesses get the most out of social media by directly asking for suggestions.
- Marketers plan to increase spend on online activities in 2011 - 1/19/2011 - Small businesses are planning to increase their marketing budgets in 2011, focusing on social media and online elements.
- Facebook predicted to see more than $2 billion in advertising revenue next year - 1/18/2011 - Small businesses made up more than half of Facebook's global ad revenue for 2010, which is only expected to increase in the coming year.
- Marketing continues to top small business priorities - 1/11/2011 - In 2011, technology news for entrepreneurs will certainly rise in relevance, as recent surveys predict a growing focus on marketing and social media.
- PR course for small business now available - 12/13/2010 - Two hour course will educate entreprenuers
- Social media more important than ever for small businesses - 12/13/2010 - Websites like Facebook and Twitter are vital parts of increasing exposure
- SCORE teams up with American Airlines to help small businesses - 12/10/2010 - Two companies will work together to aid entrepreneurs
- Small business Saturday hailed as a success - 12/6/2010 - 130 business organizations join American Express in sponsoring the holiday
- Small business owner honored by local chamber of commerce - 11/15/2010 - Stephanie Leader named Small Business Leader of the Year by local organization
- Social media marketing not a major factor for gaining clients, according to study - 11/12/2010 - Survey reveals few entrepreneurs using sites like Facebook to get business
- AT&T launches small business kiosks - 11/8/2010 - New tool will guide entrepreneurs
- Nevada small business group announces partnership with law firm - 10/27/2010 - Nevada Small Business Leadership Alliance hooks up with Bullivant Houser Bailey PC
- New book guides small businesses in social media marketing - 10/27/2010 - MarketingHuddle.com releases new guide
- Survey finds most small businesses not using social media - 10/20/2010 - RatePoint Survey finds only 36 percent of entrepreneurs are using sites like Facebook, Twitter
- Social media is key to small business marketing - 10/11/2010 - Sites like Facebook and Twitter help entrepreneurs
- Cleveland Chamber of Commerce offers advice to small business overs - 9/27/2010 - The Coffee and Business Advice seminar will begin next week
- NASCAR Contest helps small business - 9/23/2010 - Winner can win $1 million for their business
- NFIB index shows growing confidence among small business owners - 9/14/2010 - Index was 0.7 percent higher, but still remains at recessionary levels
- British Airways give small business owners chance to fly for free - 9/8/2010 - Face of Opportunity contest will give away 250 free flights to London
- More options for businesses tired of playing 'foursquare' - 8/23/2010 - Other services allow customers to "check-in" on their location.
- Office Depot Index finds slow recovery for small businesses - 8/19/2010 - 38 percent of small business owners still being impacted by recession.
- California senate candidate trumpets Chamber of Commerce support - 8/11/2010 - Former CEO of HP gets endorsement from business group.
- Obama raises money, highlights small business concerns - 8/10/2010 - Says that GOP is playing politics with America's future.
- Small business owners look forward to tax holiday in Virginia - 8/6/2010 - State's NFIB endroses tax-free weekend.
- Online courses help complete Obama's export goals - 7/22/2010 - SBA-sponsored podcasts gives guide to small business exporters.
- FAA forum to help small businesses land government contracts - 6/30/2010 - Small business owners are flocking to Oklahoma City for an FAA trade show aimed at helping them apply for the agency's contracts.
- Startup competitions give companies numerous benefits - 6/28/2010 - Companies are using startup competitions to get valuable rewards - even if they don't win.
- Online marketplaces open new possibilities for small businesses - 6/17/2010 - Some small businesses have seen their sales increase after listing their products on Overstock.com's new Main Street Store.
- Trade initiatives for small businesses introduced by UPS - 5/20/2010 - UPS is promoting a series of global trade initiatives to help small businesses grow.
- Report highlights the necessary shift toward social media marketing - 5/19/2010 - A new report published by Alterian says a major shift toward social media marketing is necessary for businesses.
- Survey: Consumers using Facebook to support products and businesses - 4/16/2010 - New survey results indicate that Facebook has become a place for consumers to research and support businesses.
- Facebook official says its products for businesses will remain free - 4/8/2010 - In an interview, Facebook's chief operating officer said the company does not plan to charge for services.
- Tips for marketing a small business on Facebook - 3/30/2010 - There are simple steps entrepreneurs can follow to market their business on Facebook.
- Consumer habits could be permanently changed by recession - 3/25/2010 - A new study indicates that the way Americans shop and buy has been shifted by the economic downturn.
- Report: Social media is helpful not harmful to email marketing - 3/24/2010 - Social media marketing has proven to support rather than hinder SMB's email marketing efforts.
- Small business owners stress the importance of social media - 3/23/2010 - Social media offers many benefits to small business marketers, from brand awareness to customer engagement.
- Customer service can maximize business - 3/19/2010 - Making customer experiences satisfactory can bring them back for more.
- Giveaways are a tricky business - 3/12/2010 - Offering customers free items can both help and hurt a business.
- Good news for small businesses: The Boomers are seniors now - 2/25/2010 - The Baby Booms are now senior citizens. Small business must alter marketing plans for the senior demographic to take advantage.
- Marketing aimed at Hispanics should be more personal - 2/24/2010 - Emotional responses and product value messaging are critical in ads that target Hispanic market segments.
- Small businesses might give marketing a more vertical approach this year - 2/11/2010 - A study from advisory group BIA/Kelsey reveals that small business owners are increasingly investing in online vertical advertisements.
- American consumers spend big to say 'I love you' for Valentine's Day - 2/10/2010 - Americans will spend more than $14 billion this Valentine's Day, and small business owners should use savvy marketing to draw consumer dollars.
- Small business marketing trends for 2010 - 1/27/2010 - Marketer Ivana Taylor shares marketing trend tips with entrepreneurs.
- Small business owners can take risks to beat recession - 1/27/2010 - Small business owners can stay afloat with creative marketing strategies.
- Using email newsletters to find clients and promote business - 1/25/2010 - Email newsletters are affordable and effective ways to get clients clicking on your company's website.
- Survey results can help small businesses give Facebook friends what they want - 1/23/2010 - A report from eMarketer offers insight on what social media users want from corporate connections.
- Small business tips to find success with social media marketing - 1/18/2010 - Small businesses might benefit from Official Spin's tips on how to use social media.
- Draw consumer spending with prices that sound cheap - 1/18/2010 - The results of a new study suggest consumers think they get a bigger discount when numbers literally sound small.
- Snail mail gives marketing a personal touch - 1/12/2010 - Direct mail can pay off for small businesses with loyal clients.
- Online Marketing Trends for 2010 - 1/11/2010 - Riverside Marketing Strategies offers small business owners some insight on this year's top trends in online marketing.
- Inc. offers tweeting tips to small business owners - 1/7/2010 - Inc. magazine offers some advice for small businesses owners who want to cash in on the Twitter frenzy.
- SMB social media spending to increase in 2010 - 12/31/2009 - Social media spending is predicted to increase in 2010.
- Study says SMBs will increase social media - 12/22/2009 - A Vistaprint study reveals that social media will get the biggest boost from SMBs in 2010.
- The Better Way Challenge offers social media solutions to SMBs - 12/9/2009 - SMBs cold win free internet marketing consultation through The Better Way Challenge.
- RatePoint offers real time customer feedback - 12/8/2009 - RatePoint aims to help SMBs gain credible online reputations with new social media marketing.
- Twitter and CitySearch team up to promote SMBs - 12/7/2009 - Twitter and CitySearch provide SMBs with free promotions and consumer feedback.
- Small businesses increase online spending - 11/30/2009 - WebVisible reports shifts in search engine advertising this quarter.
- SES Chicago 2009 to host a 'Small Business Track' - 11/30/2009 - SES Chicago 2009 will offer online marketing tips for SMB owners.
- Google lets SMB marketing find target audiences - 11/24/2009 - Google makes targeted marketing easier for SMBs.
- Constant Contact suggests SMBs keep in contact with potential customers this holiday - 11/24/2009 - Constant Contact offers marketing tips to SMBs for the upcoming holiday.
- New marketing campaigns increase SMB optimism for holiday and annual sales - 11/23/2009 - A Constant Contact survey reveals SMB owners are confident in their holiday marketing strategies.
- MA SMBs cling to tech savvy young workers - 11/20/2009 - SMBs try to hold on to tech savvy young workers.
- Survey says online marketing is key to success - 11/18/2009 - SMBs plan to increase use of internet marketing in 2010.
- SMBs should friend Facebook - 11/16/2009 - Facebook is an increasingly important way for small businesses to show off their personality and attract clients.
- Facebook Platform gives businesses path to user engagement - 10/29/2009 - New features will bring better integration of apps on user home pages.
- Family Guy special dropped from Microsoft Windows 7 marketing push - 10/28/2009 - Microsoft says Family Guy special was not fit for its Windows 7 brand.
- FTC cracking down on false green marketing claims - 10/28/2009 - Clothing company made false claims about bamboo fibers in rayon cloth.
- What Real Time Twitter in Bing and Google Means for Your Business - 10/22/2009 - Real-time searches on Google and Bing bring more traffic to your tweets.
- Small businesses hoping for better news this holiday season - 10/19/2009 - A survey from Experian shows consumer spending habits may have changed due to the recession.
- Survey: Almost half of small businesses use social networking sites for marketing - 10/15/2009 - A study released this week from Internet2Go and MerchantCircle found that 45 percent of SMB owners use Facebook and Twitter to promote their businesses.
- SEO guide offers tips for small business marketers - 10/13/2009 - SEO marketers should be aware of meta-search engines like Nexplore.
- Google search beats back Bing, Facebook users soar - 10/12/2009 - Google and Facebook maintain a dominant presence in today's online business environment.
- Twitter in talks with Google and Microsoft - 10/9/2009 - Twitter's little blue bird is tweeting in Google's and Microsoft's ears.
- Search engine optimization an opportunity for small business - 10/7/2009 - Small businesses should look to the opportunities for marketing through search engine optimization.
- Forum offers business tips for social media marketing - 10/7/2009 - Cash-starved marketers are discovering both the financial and promotional benefits of social media marketing.
- SMS marketing shows high open rates, close to 'guaranteed read' - 9/25/2009 - Mobile message marketing - or SMS marketing - has become a popular trend thanks to its high open rates.
- Facebook and Nielsen partner to make social media marketing more measurable - 9/23/2009 - Social media marketing just got more measurable, thanks to a partnership between Facebook and The Nielsen Company.
- 'Social emails' leverage social media and email marketing - 9/16/2009 - Social emails, when designed effectively, can generate a CTR of up to 38.7 percent.
- Coupon clippers cut costs - 9/14/2009 - Coupon use is rising amongst consumers, with some particular enthusiasts.
- Twitter usage to grow 200 percent this year - 9/14/2009 - The number of Twitter users is expected to grow from 6 million U.S. adults in 2008 to 18 million by the end of 2009.
- When it comes to Facebook marketing, think Tuesday - 9/11/2009 - A recent study found that click-through rates for a brand's Facebook wall posts are highest on Tuesdays.
- Marketing budgets still tight, but SMBs can do more with less - 9/8/2009 - Marketing spending remains tight due to the recession, but that doesn't have to impact the effectiveness of small business marketing campaigns.
- Though still being reduced, marketing budgets see improvements - 9/5/2009 - Strapped by the recession, marketers are continuing their modest spending and even budget cuts, a recent survey found.
- Ask the audience: Netflix uses 'prize economics' to solve its business problem - 9/3/2009 - "Prize economics" joins "crowdsourcing" as another tool that leverages the creativity of many consumers to solve business problems or guide business development.
- Internet retailers not effectively using SEO, study finds - 9/3/2009 - Internet retailers are falling behind in the search engine optimization platform, underutilizing what could be an important marketing resource.
- Consumers cut costs, coupons see clicks - 9/2/2009 - With consumers cutting back on spending, click-through rates for online coupons saw significant increases in August.
- Businesses use social media to enhance customer relationships, build brand - 9/1/2009 - A recent study found that enhancing relationships with customers and building brand reputation were the most popular uses of social media marketing, while Facebook emerged as the most popular platform.
- Spending on social media marketing to continue rising, survey finds - 8/27/2009 - Spending on social media is expecting to continue increasing over the next five years, with social networking websites leading the trend, a recent survey found.
- With online ads, shape and format make a difference - 8/24/2009 - In terms of return on investment, not all online ad sizes and formats are created equal, a recent study found.
- Online media overtakes traditional channels in SMB advertising use - 8/21/2009 - SMBs are advertising on online channels more than traditional platforms for the first time, a survey from The Kelsey Group found.
- Twitter feedback leads GM to cancel Buick production plans - 8/20/2009 - General Motors decided to cancel plans for a Buick crossover sports utility vehicle after receiving consistent negative feedback on Twitter.
- Social networking sites are popular resource for hiring and recruitment - 8/20/2009 - Social networking websites have emerged as a popular resource for hiring managers in the recruitment process.
- Google has highest consumer satisfaction rating of major search engines - 8/19/2009 - Google was found to be the search engine with the highest consumer satisfaction rating, making it an attractive marketing and advertising platform for businesses.
- Marketing, social media increasingly important for business development - 8/18/2009 - A recent survey from The Creative Group found that marketing and advertising departments have greater influence over business decisions than they did three years ago.
- Consumer sentiment hits lowest level since March, survey finds - 8/14/2009 - Reuters/University of Michigan Survey of Consumers indicates unexpected decrease in consumer sentiment.
- Consumers prefer green options, survey says - 8/10/2009 - With consumers across the world making an effort to buy more environmentally friendly products, small businesses are encouraged to take advantage of the trend.
- Fortune 100 companies use social media for marketing - 8/7/2009 - Twitter and other social media strategies have recently captured the attention of the Fortune 100 companies, who are increasingly using the technology for marketing.
- Cooperation, not competition, is winning marketing strategy for SMBs - 7/24/2009 - Experts advise that horizontal marketing is more cost-effective and less complicated than other marketing approaches.
- Mobile internet use, marketing expected to experience high growth - 7/23/2009 - With an increasing number of Americans accessing the internet through their phones, mobile marketing is poised to be the next big trend.
- Using promo products to create a favorable, lasting impression - 7/20/2009 - A recent survey by the Promotional Products Association International found that promotional products improved the recipient's impression of the advertiser, and were useful tools for repeated brand exposure.
- ROI of social media marketing makes it all worthwhile - 7/17/2009 - While not free, social media marketing's high ROI - especially in one unexpected way - makes it a worthwhile investment.
- Facebook releases targeting filters for advertisements - 7/17/2009 - Facebook released new filters allowing advertisers to target their ads to specific users.
- Analyzing 4 percent of consumers goes a long way, experts say - 7/16/2009 - If 4 percent of consumers drive the majority of a brand's business, as one advertising executive proposes it does, then analyzing that target audience will lead to effective marketing strategies.
- Strong brands remain popular though economic downturn - 6/15/2009 - SMBs may want to take a page out of the book of some of the most historically strong brands.
- Stay business savvy over the summer - 6/5/2009 - During this more relaxed season, consider alternative ways to keep business flowing.
- Social networking site helps small businesses - 6/5/2009 - Shustir.com will help small businesses work together to make sales.
- SMBs can grow without major risk - 6/1/2009 - Increasing a small business' marketing budget could help grow the operation.
- Website aims to help female small business owners - 5/28/2009 - Social networking sites says it hopes to show women in small business that they're not 'in it alone.'
- Teen retail store experiences gains - 5/21/2009 - Hot Topic sees more young consumers spend money.
- Outstanding SMB named - 5/20/2009 - Top small business announced during National Small Business Week 2009.
- Small Businesses Tweet to promote - 5/19/2009 - Twitter gains popularity in the corporate world.
- Small business frequented by star musicians - 5/5/2009 - One family-owned business continues to thrive despite tough economic times.
- Small businesses missing out on online marketing - 4/28/2009 - Online marketing and ecommerce are powerful tools for small business owners. But a new study finds that many entrepreneurs still have yet to tap into these proven ways to grow sales and expand a business.
- Small business optimism up for third straight month - 4/27/2009 - Small business optimism is on the rise. In fact, many business owners say that business conditions are improving.
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs