Looking for family business advice? You are not alone. Family business statistics indicate that more than 80% of all businesses are family-owned businesses.
These family business articles offer entrepreneurial advice on a wide variety of family business topics, everything from choosing family business consultants to working with family members to planning for succession in family businesses. Enjoy!
- Compensation in Family Businesses - Family business compensation is often a sensitive topic. We offer some best practices for compensating family members.
- Family Business Statistics - You might be surprised to learn how big a role family businesses play in the economy. Here are a few interesting family business facts and figures.
- Family Business Advice - Looking for good advice for family businesses? Working with family members in a family-owned business is full of challenges, so we've assembled a list of excellent family business tips for you.
- How to Announce a Family Business Leadership Change - It's time to hand the family business over to your son or daughter. What's the best process for announcing the transition?
- Getting Divorced and Own a Business Together - If you and your spouse own a business together and you have decided to get a divorce, this is a must-read article.
- Family Business Rules - Family businesses need a special set of operating rules because they are different from other businesses. Here are some rules that may make sense for your family business.
- Family Business Mistakes - Want to ruin your family business in a hurry? Here are some common mistakes that can lead a family businesses from riches to rags.
- Hiring Family Members - Hiring relatives is usually a recipe for disaster, especially if the relative has no relevant skills. But sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation.
- Family Members in a Company - Often small businesses have family members at various levels of the organization. This can be a helpful situation or troublesome depending upon how you manage it.
- Entrepreneur Families – It’s Not Easy being Married to the Boss - Boardroom matters should never be confused with bedroom matters. Is it ok to talk shop at the dinner table? Does the role of power in the work setting influence the way family business owners interact in private life?
- Partnering with Family Members - Many businesses are run by families. Family provides a great source of dependable work, however there are some problems that can arise. This article will discuss some of the challenges of partnering with family members.
- Family Business Succession Planning - Does your family business have a succession plan in place? If not, it's time to start thinking about what will happen when you are no longer around to run the business.
- Daughter Successors - Fifty years ago, it was very rare to have a daughter take over the family business. These days, it's a commonplace occurrence.
- How to Fire Dad - For many family businesses, there comes a time when the older generation should bow out. But what do you do when they simply refuse to hand over power?
- Starting a Family Business - Thinking about starting a family business? Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Starting Family Businesses - Starting a family business can be a very rewarding and profitable endeavor, but for some they can also lead to destructive relationships with your business partners, investors, and family members.
- The Inherited Business - At first it seems you hit the jackpot when you inherit a business. But is living out someone's dying wish more of a penance than a pleasure?
- Building a Business with Your Spouse - When you are thinking about starting a business with your spouse, it is important that you consider what new stresses may come into play. This article aims to introduce you to some issues that may cause conflict with your loved one.