Thinking about opening a child care information and referral services business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Elements of a Child Care Information & Referral Services Company Business Plan
Your child care information and referral services company's business plan should be tailored to your business's unique traits and goals. However, the most effective business plans do address specific sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – Your description of your child care information and referral services business's reason for existing.
- Goals & Objectives – Goals are broad targets; objectives are the tactics you'll use to reach your goals.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Specific plans that describe your business environment, demographic targets and quantitative estimates.
Take a Look at Competitors
Prior to opening a child care information and referral services business in your town, it's essential to see how you will fit in the competitive landscape. Use the link below to generate a list of competitors nearby. Just enter your city, state and zip code to get a list of child care information and referral services businesses in your community.
Is the established competition doing a good job? It's important to understand their strengths and weaknesses and think through how you'll stake up against those established businesses.
Learn from Others Who Are Already In This Space
Once you've finished assessing the competion, be sure to talk to somebody who is already in the business. Local competitors are not going to give you the time of day, mind you. It'd be crazy for them to teach you the business.
However, an entrepreneur who owns a child care information and referral services business in a different city can be a great learning resource for you, once they realize that you are not going to directly compete with them in their community. In fact, they are often very willing to share startup advice with you. If you are persistent, you can find a business mentor who is willing to help you out.
Where can an aspiring entrepreneur like you find somebody who runs a child care information and referral services business in a different locale who can assist you?
Here's one way to do it. Just use our link below, find somebody and call them.
Three Arguments for Buying a Child Care Information & Referral Services Business
It's almost always preferable to buy a child care information and referral services business than to pursue a child care information and referral services business startup.
Although buyers should always perform thorough due diligence, there at least three reasons you should consider a child care information and referral services business purchase as your entryway to business ownership.
- Initial Revenue. Startups struggle to bring in revenue right out of the gate while existing businesses usually have a steady stream of income.
- Operational Efficiency. When you're shopping for a child care information and referral services business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Capital Acquisition. In general, it's easier to finance an existing business than it is to fund a startup. While a startup only exists on paper (initially), established businesses have the benefit of historical earnings statements and tangible assets.
Don't Rule Out Franchising
The quicker your startup is up and running, the quicker you can begin earning profits. Franchising may be the vehicle to make your ownership goals a reality.
Even though franchising isn't right for every entrepreneur, many startup owners find that a franchise offers the resources and behind-the-scenes support they need to launch their business on solid footing. Our child care franchise directory contains the information you need to evaluate child care information and referral services business franchises. Just click on the link for more details.
These interviews should be of interest to you.
These additional resources regarding starting a business may be of interest to you.
If you already are in business and came here to learn about growing an existing child care information and referral services business, these resources will come in handy:
If you came here to learn about selling to child care information and referral services businesses, you're in the wrong place. These resources are more appropriate for you:
If you are interested in starting a different kind of business, please browse our directory of guides below.