Thinking about opening a seeds and bulbs business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Characteristics of a Good Seeds & Bulbs Company Business Plan
Every business plan is unique. But if it's done right, your seeds and bulbs business's plan should contain a handful of sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – A concise declaration of values, strategy and identity.
- Goals & Objectives – A list of mile markers on your seeds and bulbs business's road to success.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Each of these plans covers a specific aspect of your seeds and bulbs business's strategy and direction.
Don't Overlook Competitors
Well in advance of opening a seeds and bulbs business in your town, it's essential to see how you will fit in the competitive landscape. We've provided the link below to help you generate a list of competitors nearby. After clicking on the link, type in your city, state and zip code to get a list of seeds and bulbs businesses near you.
How tough is the competition in the market you are considering? If the competition is too tough, you may need to think about starting the business in a different area or even start a completely different business instead.
Studying the Market
As part of your due diligence on opening a seeds and bulbs business, it's essential that you have a conversation with someone who is in the business. Local competitors are not going to give you the time of day, mind you. Why would they want to educate a future competitor?
Thankfully, an owner of a a seeds and bulbs business outside of your community may be willing to share their entrepreneurial wisdom with you, given that you don't compete with them in their area. Many business owners are happy to give advice to new entrepreneurs. Our estimate is that you may have to contact many business owners to find one who is willing to share his wisdom with you.
How do you locate an entrepreneur who is running a seeds and bulbs business that lives outside of your area?
Simple. Let your fingers do the walking by using the link below.
Three Arguments for Buying a Seeds & Bulbs Business
At Gaebler, we think it makes a lot of sense to explore a seeds and bulbs business purchase before committing to a startup.
Due diligence and other business buying requirements are essential. But there are several reasons why buying a seeds and bulbs business may still be your best bet.
- Proven Profitability. Startups struggle to bring in revenue right out of the gate while existing businesses usually have a steady stream of income.
- Established Operations & Processes. When you're shopping for a seeds and bulbs business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Funding. Lenders, investors and other funding sources almost always prefer business purchases to startups.
Consider Buying a Franchise
A franchise jumpstarts your business by letting you leverage franchisor expertise and name recognition.
Before opening a seeds and bulbs business, you would be wise to check out whether there are good franchise opportunities available that might help you on your entrepreneurial journey.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These additional resources regarding starting a business may be of interest to you.
If you came here to learn about selling to seeds and bulbs businesses, you're in the wrong place. Try these resources instead:
If you are still exploring all of your options, please browse our directory of guides below.