Thinking about opening a house plans business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
(article continues below)
Characteristics of a Good House Plans Company Business Plan
Every business plan is unique. However, the most effective business plans do address specific sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – A foundational statement of your company's direction and strategy.
- Goals & Objectives – A list of mile markers on your house plans business's road to success.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Specific plans that describe your business environment, demographic targets and quantitative estimates.
Assess the Competition
Well in advance of opening a house plans business within your community, it's worthwhile to see what the competition looks like. Use the link below to generate a list of competitors in your area. Simply enter your city, state and zip code to get a list of house plans businesses in your town.
How tough is the competition in the market you are considering? If the competition is too tough, you may need to think about starting the business in a different area or even start a completely different business instead.
Studying the Market
If you are interested in starting a house plans business, the next step is to speak with somebody who is already in the business. It's very unlikely that the local competition will talk to you. The last thing they want to do is help you to be a better competitor.
However, a fellow entrepreneur who has started a house plans business in another town will be much more likely to talk with you, as long as they don't view you as a competitive threat. In fact, they are often very willing to share startup advice with you. Our estimate is that you may have to contact many business owners to find one who is willing to share his wisdom with you.
How do you locate a house plans business owner outside of your area who is willing to talk?
Here's how we would do it. Try the useful link below and key in a random city/state or zipcode.
Top Three Reasons to Buy an Established House Plans Business
At Gaebler, we think it makes a lot of sense to explore a house plans business purchase before committing to a startup.
Although buyers should always perform thorough due diligence, there at least three reasons you should consider a house plans business purchase as your entryway to business ownership.
- Initial Revenue. Startups struggle to bring in revenue right out of the gate while existing businesses usually have a steady stream of income.
- Operational Efficiency. When you're shopping for a house plans business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Funding. Lenders, investors and other funding sources almost always prefer business purchases to startups.
Is Franchising the Right Option?
Your chances of achieving the entrepreneurial goal of being a successful business owner are much better if you purchase a franchise rather than going it alone.
If your goal is to start a house plans business, you ought to determine whether franchising might make it easy to get started.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These additional resources regarding getting started as an entrepreneur may be of interest to you.
If you already are in business and came here to learn about growing an existing house plans business, these resources will come in handy:
If you sell to house plans businesses, you're in the wrong place. These resources are more appropriate for you:
If you are interested in starting a different kind of business, please browse our directory of guides below.