The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is an extremely valuable resource for web publishers. We explain how to use FOIA and what you need to know to avoid potential legal problems.
- How to Get Government Data Via the Freedom of Information Act - Web publishers who are concerned about the operations of our government agencies can keep things transparent through FOIA requests.
- How to File a FOIA Request - Want to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request? We walk you through the basic steps that are required to file a formal FOIA request with federal agencies.
- Understanding FOIA Exemption 6 - Along with Exemption 7C, FOIA Exemption 6C is designed to balance privacy interests with the right to know what the government is doing. Here's what online publishers need to know.
- Understanding FOIA Exemption 7c - There's a fine line between public information and private information. Here's one of several FOIA exemption that a government agency can use as a basis to deny a FOIA request.
- Examples of News Agency FOIA Requests - If you are a citizen journalist who is contemplating using FOIA for story fodder, here are some examples of the ways news agencies have used FOIA to generate some pretty interesting stories.