Resources for Entrepreneurs
Last Updated: December 14, 2021
By accessing and/or using this site you evidence your approval and acceptance of the following terms.
Personal information we collect and what we use it for
The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and your role, as delineated below. We collect and process this information for purposes that are based on our legitimate business interests, our contracts, compliance with our legal obligations, and/or your consent.
When contacting us, visiting or otherwise engaging with our https://www.gaebler.com website (the "Site"), the information we collect may include your IP, browser, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, geolocation, and information about your use of the Site. This information is collected automatically via analytics software, cookies, session data and server logs and does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information).
In addition, when you engage via an online contact/comment/registration form, we may collect your provided name, email addresses, physical address, phone number(s), correspondence with us, and any directives you provide regarding communications you agree to receive following your visit to the Site.
We use the personal information (and any preferences indicated by you, where appropriate) to: send you the data, tools and other information you have requested; to inform you about products and services we offer; to generate internal analytics reports; to improve the Site, its security and our services; and, in some cases, to directly or indirectly provide you with third-party advertisements which may be of interest to you and may be based on any preferences you have indicated in your form submissions or online behavior.
Business Professionals and Companies
We may obtain and, in some cases, publish information about business professionals and companies. This information is derived from primary research and third-party sources, such as news items, press releases, company websites, social media, public databases and other third parties.
For individuals, we may collect your name, physical address, email addresses, phone number(s), biographical information, current and previous employers, current and former job titles, investment details, gender, and educational history. In certain instances, we may also publish your photo.
For companies, we may collect your name, physical address, email addresses, phone number(s), key current/former employee information, company logos, product information, pricing information, competitive landscape, and investment/exit activity details.
We use this company and business professional information in our capacity as a news organization and in service to entrepreneurs who are starting, managing and growing their businesses. We may also use this information to provide it to other business professionals or companies.
How Long We Retain Personal Information
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Where We Store the Data
All personal information we gather from you may be processed and stored in any one of our locations or on servers managed by website hosting companies. In addition, the data may subsequently be transferred to other countries for further processing, storage, or use -- either by us or by third parties on our behalf.
We use third party companies to provide services on our behalf, including email delivery, research and data entry, website hosting, processing transactions, analytics and administrative support. In these instances, we remain as the controller of the personal data. The third parties only process the data in accordance with our instructions, and we are responsible for ensuring such third parties are compliant with all applicable data protection regulations in relation to their processing activities.
Your Privacy Rights
There are a number of means by which you can manage your privacy with respect to our Site:
- If our information is incorrect, you can contact us and suggest a correction.
- If we send you marketing and promotional communications, you can opt-out of our marketing emails at any time.
- Regarding cookies and similar technologies, most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Site.
- Based on where you live and work (e.g., California, Europe), you may have additional rights regarding privacy matters that you can act on. This is discussed in more detail below.
We use the website visitor personal information outlined above to deliver targeted advertising to you. We may use your information to develop and display content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) tailored to your interests and/or location and to measure its effectiveness.
Some of our third-party vendors, including Google, use advertising cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to our Site and/or to other sites on the Internet. You can opt out of personalized advertising from Google by visiting Ads Settings. Additional ways to opt-out of interest-based advertising by advertisers can be found by visiting http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
We only share information with your consent, to comply with laws, to provide you with services, to protect your rights, or to fulfill business obligations.
We may process or share data based on the following legal basis:
- Consent: We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your personal information in a specific purpose.
- Legitimate Interests: We may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests.
- Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of our contract.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
More specifically, we may need to process your data or share your personal information in the following situations:
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- Third-Party Advertisers. We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Services. These companies may use information about your visits to our Website(s) and other websites that are contained in web cookies and other tracking technologies in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
Cookies do not reveal the identity of the individual user. They only identify the computer utilized by that user.
Other Websites We Link To
We provide links to other websites from the Site. We are not responsible for those websites, their policies or practices. You should read those websites' individual privacy policies before providing any of your personal information to them.
How We Protect Your Information
We protect your personal information through organizational and technical security measures. Toward this end, we have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, given the current cybersecurity landscape, no organization can guarantee that data protection is 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, the transmission of personal information to and from our Site is at your own risk; in addition to our efforts, you can play a role in protecting your data by only accessing our Site from a secure computing environment and taking appropriate security measures of your own.
Information from Minors
If we learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we have collected from children under age 18, please contact us.
A privacy breach occurs when there is unauthorized access to or collection, use, disclosure or disposal of personal information. You will be notified about data breaches when we believe you are likely to be at risk or serious harm. In the event that we become aware of a security breach which has resulted or may result in unauthorized access, use or disclosure of personal information, we will promptly investigate the matter and notify the applicable authorities not later than 72 hours after having become aware of it, unless the personal data breach is unlikely to result in a risk to the rights and freedoms of natural persons.
Do-Not-Track Features of the Site
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do-Not-Track ("DNT") feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have data about your online browsing activities monitored and collected.
If you are a resident of California, certain California laws may grant you specific rights regarding access to your personal information. Depending on statute specifics, which outline which companies are required to comply and in what circumstances, we may be obligated to grant and allow you to exercise such rights.
If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please contact us and we will let you know if we believe the law applies to us, and, if so, we will work with you on a timely basis to address your request.
Laws in Other States
In addition to complying with California law, it is our intention to comply with all other state laws that apply to us. If your state provides you with certain rights regarding privacy as it relates to our site and you wish to exercise those rights, please contact us.
Based on the laws of some countries, particularly those in the European Economic Area (EEA), you may have the right to request access to the personal information we collect from you, change that information, or delete it in some circumstances. To make a request to review, update, or delete your personal information, please contact us. We will respond to your request within 30 days.
If you are resident in the EEA and you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information, you can, and should, contact us and we will investigate the matter. You also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
If you have questions or comments about this policy, please contact us.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs