Accounting Software for Apple Computers
Who needs a PC anyway? Although PC applications get a lot of press, Mac-based businesses will be glad to hear that there are plenty of very good Macintosh accounting software packages.
Profitable businesses take the implementation of a top-notch accounting system extremely seriously.
It's possible to operate your business without a small business accounting program, but you'll waste a lot of time, energy and resources that could have been saved if you had invested in a decent software application.
PC-based solutions have historically dominated the conversation around business accounting software. In fairness, PCs are the most widely used computing platform for small businesses. But they're not the only game in town. Many businesses, especially businesses that handle a large quantity of graphics or creative design elements, prefer to operate in a Mac environment.
Although it doesn't receive as much press as PC software, capable accounting software for Apple computers does exist. There are several desktop and web-based options to choose from, including the following examples of first-rate Mac accounting applications.
- Quickbooks for Mac. Quickbooks has made a name for itself as a high quality accounting solution for small businesses. Even though it's only available in a single-user format, Quickbooks for Mac offers a lot of user benefits including time tracking, invoicing, bill paying, reporting and MobileMe backup. At around $200, it's a great value for a Mac-based small business workplace.
- MYOB Account Edge. Account Edge has many of the same features as Quickbooks, but it is available in both single user and network versions. Add-ons give users the ability to perform data transfers and CRM integration. Price is reasonable at about $300.
- Money Works Gold. Money Works is the granddaddy of Mac-based accounting packages. Features include general ledger support for departmental accounting, purchase/sales orders, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventory management and other useful business tools. It's comprehensive, but more expensive at around $600.
- Quickbooks online. Quickbooks conveniently offers a Mac-compatible online version of their software with a free version that lets you create invoices, track payments, collect sales tax and perform other basic functions. For full functionality, the cost is $35/month.
- Freshbooks. Similar to Quickbooks online, Freshbooks offers an online invoicing service with both free and premium versions. Depending on the version, you can create & track invoices, manage contractors and even access your software via an iPhone app. Cost for premium Freshbooks service is $39/month.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs