Medical Practice Management Software
Features of Medical Practice Management Software
The medical community has gone high-tech and whether you like it or not, your medical practice needs to keep up. Today's medical practice management software solutions offer a range of features that are so useful that you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
As the owner of a small to medium-sized medical practice you need every advantage you can get.
Faced with rising expenses and a constantly changing healthcare environment, your practice's software solution has to do more than ever before. Simply put, you can't afford to settle for medical practice management software that isn't capable of keeping up with the demands of the current healthcare industry.
The good news is that when it comes to selecting electronic medical record software you have a plethora of choices. From free, web-based solutions to top-tier integrated platforms, there is a software package designed to meet your selection criteria and budget parameters.
But the bad news is that not all medical practice management software applications provide the same features. You'll need to be discerning in your quest to identify the solution that's right for your practice. Here are just a few of the features to consider:
- Appointment scheduling. Any decent electronic medical record application should come with an appointment scheduling module. The best ones are capable of scheduling appointments for multiple locations and making real-time adjustments based on unforeseen events and backlogs.
- Check-in/check-out procedures. EMR solutions often include easy-to-use features that streamline the check-in/check-out process. The benefit of these features is that they standardize your practice's front-end process in a multiple personnel environment.
- Workflow management. Don't settle for any software or web-based platform that doesn't let you access or maintain patient records in real time. Ideally, the solution should be accessible via PDA or other mobile access device.
- Portability. As an owner and/or medical professional it's not unreasonable to demand any time, anywhere access to your application. If it's web-based, remote access is a given. If not, you should at least have remote login capability so you can view staff and patient schedules.
- Claims management. Quality software includes claims management features that make sure each claim contains the information required for payment. In many cases, you can also expect instant access to patient eligibility.
- Reporting. Both standard and customized reporting capabilities are the norm. More comprehensive solutions also let you drill down for detail and edit reports on the go.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs