Getting the Most Out of Your Employees
Written by Brenda Stokes for Gaebler Ventures
Your employees can help you make or break your business. This is because they are your biggest investment throughout the course of your company. So how do you get the most out of your employees so that you can get the most out of your business?
How do you get the most out of your employees?
They are the biggest investment you will make in your business through benefits, salaries, and training, it is important that you get as much as you can out of them without making them miserable in the process.
What you want out of your employees is the best possible return on investment (ROI). When it comes to your employees, your return on investment comes in the form of productivity. However, in order to be productive you have to keep the team spirit within your business high. You also have to let your employees know that time management is an employability skill that needs to be utilized.
Here is how you can get the most out of your employees:
- Make sure they know their employee roles. Start with the idea that each employee wants to do their best. If they know what they are supposed to do while on the job, then they will be more efficient on the job. It's your job to make sure everyone is working on a winning team. Let your employees know that updating their Facebook account or checking out the news on the Internet is contributing to the many domestic jobs that are being lost. The team is being hurt.
- Ensure you have adequate training for your employees. There are basic tasks that all employees can perform such as answering the phone, photocopying, printing, and greeting customers. If everyone knows all of the basic tasks within the business, then the slack can be picked up when the primary individual is unable to complete the task.
- Teach your employees how to utilize their time. This is done by training them on how to determine what is a priority. You also want to give them the space they need to approach their day in their own way. You can then coach them through improving the time management process.
- Performance objectives are very important because they are the goals that your employees are to meet. Let them know about the long term objectives that the company needs to meet, what tasks need to be completed, and what new skills are necessary to reach those goals. Performance objectives allow you to set milestones to move forward.
- Don't schedule too many business meetings because meetings waste time. Only have business meetings when you need them. Meetings abide by an agenda, not a way for you to express your latest ideas.
- Hiring new employees is more expensive than keeping the ones you have. Look objectively at the small problems that occur within the business that can cause employees to lose employee productivity.
Getting the most out of your employees doesn't have to be difficult. As a matter of fact, you simply just need to be aware of what is going on around you and not oblivious to it. By being aware, you can make improvements where improvements are needed.
Brenda is a graduate of California State University and a professional writer covering a variety of business topics. To learn more about Brenda, check out her website at The Digital Inkwell.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs