Business Sign Advice
Neon Business Signs
Neon signs are part of the American landscape. Some people love them, others hate them. But is a neon sign right for your business?
You don't have to look very hard to find a small business that displays a neon sign.
Neon signs are everywhere and show no sign of going out of style anytime soon.
Neon signs offer a lot of benefits for business owners. But at the same time, neon has some significant drawbacks that can outweigh the benefits unless you are prepared to deal with them. If you're on the fence about neon, here are the advantages and disadvantages to consider before you purchase a neon business sign.
Advantages of Neon Business Signs
- Visibility. It's hard to argue with the fact that neon signs draw attention and drive traffic to a business. More traffic translates into more sales and unlike other kinds of signs, neon signs are visible both day and night, eliminating the need to install auxiliary lighting for signage.
- Longevity. When cared for properly, neon signs have surprisingly long lives. Depending on their construction, traditional signs may need to be replaced in 5 years or less. Neon signs, on the other hand, have an average life expectancy of 8 - 15 years.
- Availability. If you don't need a custom neon sign, you'll have a lot of signs to choose from. There is a healthy resale market for neon and if you're looing for generic neon messaging you should be able to pick up a refurbished sign at a reasonable price.
Disadvantages of Neon Business Signs
- Cost. If you want your sign to contain your company name, logo or other custom features a neon sign will cost more than a traditional one. Depending on its complexity, a custom neon sign can easily run into the thousands of dollars.
- Limitations. Neon signs differ from traditional signs in that their design features are sometimes limited. Though there are approximately 150 colors now available in neon, the color and shape of your sign may still be limited by the technology. If you want your sign to exactly match your logo or other marketing elements you might be out of luck.
- Maintenance. Neon signs require periodic cleaning and repair. There are companies who will maintain your sign for you, but most business owners are capable of cleaning the dust off their own signs and locating a repair service when their signs are broken.
Bonus Tip: Most people don't realize that it costs less to leave a neon sign on around the clock than it does to turn it off. When a neon sign is turned off and on, the tubes need to be reheated. This draws quite a bit more power than if it is left on at all times.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs