Toll-free 800 numbers make a lot of sense for the average small business.
(article continues below)
When combined with an effective marketing campaign, a toll-free number can drive business to your door and enhance your name recognition among consumers.
One of the major benefits of an 800 number is cost. When toll-free numbers first appeared on the scene they were cost prohibitive for many companies. But these days, the price has gone down so much that there are few, if any small businesses that are priced out of the market. Toll-free numbers have even become popular with consumers who are looking for a convenient way to stay in touch with friends or family members.
Cost isn't the only reason to set up a cheap toll-free number. As a small business owner, you owe it to yourself to consider the other benefits you can gain through an 800 business number. For example, here are a few key benefits of having an 800 number:
- Customer access. Toll-free numbers eliminate sale barriers for your customer base. If a customer is on the fence about an order, the cost of a long-distance call can be enough to discourage a purchase. Toll-free numbers counter internal arguments and make it easier for the customer to make a positive buying decision.
- Technical support. When a customer has a problem with a product or service, they want to know your company is willing to make it right without any additional charges. Toll-free numbers reinforce your customer service message by putting the entire cost of technical support on your company.
- Portability. At some point, it's possible that your business will relocate to a place that requires a different local phone number, neutralizing all the money you've invested in publicizing your contact information to consumers. By law, toll-free 800 numbers are completely portable – no matter where your business moves, customers can still use the same, familiar phone number.
- National presence. If you're looking to upsize your company's profile, an 800 number can give the appearance of a strong national presence. Combined with the right vanity toll-free number, you can communicate a strong brand identity to a potentially large consumer base.
- Reporting. Toll-free phone number providers offer features that are hard to overlook. It's fairly common for most toll-free phone services to provide sophisticated reporting with convenient online access. You will have the ability to analyze and monitor call histories based on a broad range of criteria.