California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Highland, California
Thinking about starting a business in Highland, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Highland.
Highland, California Demographic Information
Highland has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Highland demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Highland.
As a new Highland entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Highland for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
As you drive around Highland, you'll notice that many local entrepreneurs have gone the franchising route. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our recommendation is that you look into purchasing a franchise. We have many articles on franchises, such as Franchising Pros and Cons. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
A comprehensive list of franchisors is available via our List of Franchise Opportunities.
Sample franchise opportunities include Parmasters Golf Training Centers and Santorini Island Grill. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Textile Repair Franchises and Health and Diet Franchises.
Note on Highland Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Highland.
Is Buying an Existing Highland Business a Good Strategy?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Highland.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
A business plan is critical in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Indeed, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Raising Capital for Your Venture
Getting your Highland business the capital it needs to succeed is not an easy task. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as Borrowing Money from Friends and Family.
For Highland entrepreneurs with great ambition but a shortage of investment capital, you'll want to take a look at our List of California Angel Investors and our List of California Venture Capital Firms.
Improving Your Entrepreneurial Skillset
Good entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Highland, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also beneficial to see if there are any networking groups or organizations in which Highland entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Highland. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Highland and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Highland entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Highland, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Highland.
- Resources for Highland, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Highland entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs