Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Mercedes, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Mercedes, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Mercedes.
Are You Ready for the Challenges of Being an Entrepreneur?
An entrepreneurial life is hard work, and can be orders of magnitude more strenuous than working as an employee. Are you sure you want to start a business?
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Mercedes. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Mercedes, Texas Demographic Information
Mercedes has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Mercedes demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Mercedes.
As a new Mercedes entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Mercedes for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Mercedes Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you can assess several good businesses for sale in Mercedes.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is critical in maximizing the prospects of your new company. Indeed, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If writing a business plan is on your to-do list, be sure to read Business Plan Contests. You should also take advantage of face-to-face free consulting available from your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
Raising Capital for Your Startup
Getting your Mercedes business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as Microlending as a Small Business Funding Source.
Improving Your Entrepreneurial Skillset
Good entrepreneurs know that they don't know everything.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Mercedes, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Texas universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Mercedes networking organizations.
Never Give Up
As an entrepreneur in Mercedes, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
We are here to help Mercedes businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Mercedes, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Mercedes, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Mercedes.
- Resources for Mercedes, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Mercedes entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs