New York Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Stamford, New York
Thinking about starting a business in Stamford, New York? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Stamford.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Running your own business is demanding, much harder than working as an employee. Are you positive you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Stamford. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
Stamford, New York Demographic Information
Stamford has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Stamford demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Stamford.
As a new Stamford entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Stamford for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing Stamford Business?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in New York. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Stamford.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
Writing a business plan is vital in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Not having a business plan will greatly reduce your chances of business success.
If you want more information on writing business plans, we recommend reading Business Plan Contests. You should also take advantage of free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in New York.
Startup Financing Basics
Getting your Stamford business the capital it needs to succeed will be harder than you might expect. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising money, such as Getting a Small Business Loan.
Improving Your Entrepreneurial Skillset
Good entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Stamford, New York, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local New York educational institutions. It's also wise to see if there are any networking organizations for Stamford entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Stamford, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Stamford businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Stamford, New York
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Stamford.
- Resources for Stamford, New York Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Stamford entrepreneurs.
- New York Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in New York.
- New York Small Business Development Center - The New York State Small Business Development Center delivers high quality business counseling and training to New Yorkers who want to start a business or improve the performance of an existing business.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in New York
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs