Example Business Ideas
Starting a Candle Making Company
Written by Brenda Stokes for Gaebler Ventures
Candles are a passion for many people, which is why they start their own candle-making companies. You do, however, have to be vigilant because this is a competitive business. So how do you start a candle-making company that can be successful?
Owning a candle-making company can be exciting because you are passionate about candles.
You like the fact that you can take dozens of scents and make unique creations. You then sell these creations to make the homes of people smell great. Candles also have a decorative element to them as well.
Here are steps you can take to start a candle business:
- Decide what kind of candles you want to start with initially. You may desire to start with container candles first because they are the easiest to make. That's unless you already know how to make different types of candles such as taper candles, votives, etc.
- You will need to test the candles you make for safety. This means making sure they burn correctly and are not going to blow up or easily catch something on fire. You want to ensure they burn like a candle should burn. You also need to make sure the containers are not flammable.
- You will need insurance for your business. Business insurance will protect you against any lawsuits that may come your way. You never know when someone may come about and say that your candle burned down their home due to a safety issue. Although this is rare, it never hurts to have business insurance to protect you.
- When needing supplies, try to find a local candle supplier to buy your supplies from. Having a candle supplier within driving distance means you will save money on shipping.
- You now need to figure your pricing. Make sure you allow yourself enough room to make a profit. You also want to still make a profit if you have sales or offer coupons. Figure how much wax goes into each candle, the cost of the wick, the cost of the jar, the cost of the fragrance, and the coloring that goes into each candle. You will base your price off of this.
- Now you will need to market your candle-making business. You need to print business cards, brochures, and flyers. You may also want to start a website so that you can show your work and sell it. A website also provides customers with an alternative method of contacting you.
- There are several ways you can begin selling your candles. You can start with a candle business website, take them to work with you and start selling them, ask others to sell them for you and reward them with a percentage of what they make, see if any local stores would be willing to add your candles to their inventory, give some samples away to hook people, and so much more. You may even want to check with local churches and schools and see if they would be interested in selling your candles as a fundraiser for their organization.
Starting a candle-making company can be challenging, but it can also be a rewarding and profitable experience. The above tips will help you to gradually start your business so that you can protect yourself against failure.
Brenda is a graduate of California State University and a professional writer covering a variety of business topics. To learn more about Brenda, check out her website at The Digital Inkwell.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs