The very heart and soul of a business's customer base is the repeat customer.
(article continues below)
This is because the repeat customer is the one customer that spends the most money with you. You can have someone spend $10 with you one time, but the repeat customer spends $10 with you again and again. This makes them a very hot commodity.
Here is another fact for you: It can cost up to five times more to attract a new customer than it does to attract a repeat customer. Yes, it is important for you to attract new leads, but it is beyond important to keep your existing ones happy.
How to keep customers happy
It is a must to keep customers happy. Here are some ways for you to do that:
- Get to know them. Learn their names so that you can call them by name each time they come into your business. If you are working with them online or over the phone, simply be in tune with their needs. Never forget little details such as when they mention a birthday or anniversary. Make a note so that you can wish them happy birthday or happy anniversary later on.
- Don't go for long periods of time without talking to your customers. Even if they have only been a one-time customer, turn them into a repeat customer by touching base with them. Send them a thank you card for their purchase or simply give them a call to remind them that you are there to meet their needs.
- Keep customers "in the know." Allow your customers to know when a special is going to be occurring. You can also let them know of new products before they arrive to give them a chance to buy them first. Doing these things will make them feel special.
- Always follow up for comments and feedback. Let your customers know that their opinions and their business are valued.
- Make sure you are always giving them repeat customer incentives when available. You can give your repeat customers the opportunity to receive a special deal for one day or for an entire week. Repeat customer incentives help them feel a sense of belonging.
The most important aspect of attracting repeat customers is customer service. When you provide customers with a pleasant experience from the start, they will come back again and again. Great customer service is achieved when you are polite, address any and all concerns, and simply provide service that can be considered above and beyond. When you do all that you can to make customers feel like they belong and that they bring value to your business, they will come back for more of that satisfaction.
Just like anyone, the customers that come into your business want to feel valued, they want to feel a feeling of satisfaction, and they want to feel as if they are getting value for their money. Many times, a customer will do business with a company even if the price isn't the best just as long as they are treated right.