As a small business owner, you can appreciate the value of a quality forklift. But if it's been a while since you've shopped for forklifts, you may be unaware of the additional benefits you'll get from today's product offerings.
It's possible that your forklift is the hardest working piece of equipment in your operation.
Without it, you won't be able to maintain your warehouse and efficient delivery systems. So for most business owners, reliability is the forklift benefit they appreciate the most. But what about the other benefits that are available from today's line of commercial lift trucks?
The forklift industry has undergone a minor renaissance over the past few decades. A simple, diesel-powered lift is no longer enough to meet the demands and safety requirements of the modern workplace. As a result, manufacturers have created lines of products that are capable of delivering more horsepower in a broader range of work environments.
Choosing the right piece of equipments begins by evaluating the jobs you need your forklift to perform. Although the benefits you receive may vary based on the kind of forklift you purchase, there are several available benefits you need to know about.
- Fuel efficiency. Electric forklifts offer extreme fuel efficiency. The downside is that the initial cost tends to run 20% to 40% higher than internal combustion lifts. However, gas and diesel are no longer the only internal combustion options. LPG and CNG forklifts can also have benefits in the area of fuel efficiency.
- Load capacities. Modern forklifts are capable of lifting heavier loads than ever before. If you need it, you can get a forklift that can handle as much as 35,000 pounds. Average small businesses benefit from smaller capacity options including 3,000 pound, 5,000 pound and 8,000 pounds models.
- Air quality & noise reduction. Electric and dual LPG/CNG forklifts offer the benefit of improved air quality for internal usage. Instead of coping with the exhaust of multiple gas or diesel lift trucks, you can now enjoy the zero or low emissions of alternative fuel forklifts. As an added bonus, the noise pollution generated by these lifts is a huge improvement over traditional internal combustion models.
- Service. Forklift vendors now offer both full maintenance and preventative maintenance service plans. While the full maintenance plans cover breakdowns and repairs, preventive maintenance plans cover oil and filter changes, transmission servicing and general maintenance.
- Affordability. If you don't have the capital to purchase a new forklift outright, vendors offer leasing and financing options either directly or through a third party. For a lot of small businesses, leases are the preferred option because they minimize the upfront cost of new equipment.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs