Success in business even with entrepreneurs can often be as much about whom you know as what you know.
Meeting the right contacts for a successful business may not be easy when you are first starting out. There are a few places and events that you can attend today to begin making the connections that you need for your business tomorrow.
Making Contacts as an Entrepreneur
1. Chamber of Commerce – joining the local Chamber of Commerce may cost a little money, but many of the events hosted by the Chamber of Commerce are opened to anyone that wants to attend. That means that you are able to get some of the benefits of the Chamber of Commerce without the expense of becoming a member. Once your entrepreneurial business begins to make a profit then membership in the local Chamber should be considered.
2. Government meetings – becoming a familiar face at City Council meetings or other open government meetings will help you become familiar with those leaders. When the need for an advisor or other appointee arises then your familiar face could become the front runner.
3. Support groups – there may not be a group set up for entrepreneurs in your area, but that only means that it is up to you to start one. Entrepreneurs meeting on a monthly basis or as often as they deem necessary can provide insight, wisdom, support and even contacts for other entrepreneurs.
4. Social networking – the internet has opened up a world of opportunities for entrepreneurs. Contacts can be made across town or around the globe. Using Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are just a few of the ways that contacts can be made. Keeping things professional on all of the sites will be a valuable part of making sound business contacts using the internet.
5. Volunteer – offer your entrepreneurial services to non-profit groups and other organizations. The more that people associate your company with your service then the more you will be seen as an expert in the area. Building your expertise will help you develop more contacts.
6. Social clubs – everything that you do to build your business as an entrepreneur does not have to be serious. Business contacts can be made while you are having fun. Joining groups that share an interest, hobby or activity can give you access to contacts that you might not discover any other way.
Many businesses will succeed or fail according to the contacts that are made. Sound business contacts can give you leads for customers, help you with growing your business or provide you with necessary services. The more places that you can find these contacts then the easier it will be for you to begin to grow your business to the point you have dreamed.
Entrepreneurs may have had a disadvantage in the past with finding contacts. Today contacts can be found in the community and around the world with a few clicks on the keyboard. Entrepreneurs can also find sound business contacts by participating in business groups, social groups and volunteer opportunities. The only limits that there might be to finding contacts are the amount of time and energy that can be spent making those contacts.