White papers are a tool business owners use to argue for the value of their products.
(article continues below)
Although they are designed to promote specific solutions or products, white papers require much more finesse than a brochure or ad campaign.
If it's written well, a white paper deftly persuades the reader to consider a given product as the solution to a pending problem.
Sounds good, doesn't it? Unfortunately, most business owners lack the time and the expertise to give white papers the attention they deserve. The result is a menagerie of poorly written white papers that fall short of their intended purpose.
It's possible to write your own white papers. But for the majority of small business owners, here are five good reasons why outsourcing white paper writing is the smart move.
- Time. There are only so many hours in a workday and you have to prioritize how you will spend them. If writing isn't your forte, you are going to waste a lot of time doing something that someone else can do much more quickly. Bite the bullet and hire a professional white paper writer so you can use your time more efficiently.
- Money. Professional writers make their living by hitting their deadlines. You could use in-house staff resources to write your white papers, but there is a good chance that your employee won't be capable of hitting the same deadlines as a professional. Ultimately, professional writers save money for your business because they are faster and more efficient.
- Quality. It's not hard to spot the difference between a white paper that was written by a professional and one that was written by a non-writer. Misspellings, punctuation errors, bad grammar, awkward word choices – it all distracts the readers attention away from more important things, i.e. the arguments you are making for your product.
- Expertise. A good white paper writer is both a professional writer and a professional marketer. His expertise in marketing gives him the ability to strategically position your product and highlight its most important features. Sure, you could attempt the same thing. But his experience makes it more likely that he will succeed in framing your company as an industry leader.
- Objectivity. Every business owner can benefit from the objectivity of a professional white paper writer. When you outsource white paper writing, your products and arguments are subjected to a fresh set of eyes – hopefully resulting in fresh perspectives that can be incorporated into the white paper.