Displays play an important role in the success or failure of a point of sale marketing strategy.
(article continues below)
From floor dumps to prepack shelf units, retailers depend on displays to catch their customers attention and to catalyze impulse purchasing decisions.
But retailers often overlook other effective point of sale marketing ideas. Displays alone aren't capable of maximizing the revenue that could be generated from point of sale products. Even more than the marketing tools that are employed in other areas of your store, your point of sale marketing efforts need to pop with creativity–and that's something that manufacturers are more than happy to help you with.
Manufacturers provide retailers with a range of point of sale marketing resources. The question isn't whether or not non-display resources are available, but whether you know what they are and how they can be used to boost sales at the register. Here are some point of sale marketing ideas to consider:
- Shelf talkers. In point of sale marketing lingo, shelf talkers are small enhancements that can be attached or clipped to shelving. Manufacturers commonly provide an assortment of shelf talkers including shelf strips, shelf tags, and customizable shelf labels.
- Signage. Manufacturers usually have tons of signage options in addition to the signage that is attached to display. Wall signs, hanging signs, and more are readily available if you want to take advantage of them. Retailers sometimes avoid signage because they can quickly overwhelm the front of the store. But under the right circumstances, a well-placed sign can sell targeted point of sale items.
- Apparel. A great way to significantly raise the profile of a point of sale display is to deck out your sales clerks in manufacturer-provided apparel. Hats, T-shirts, even buttons can be used to reinforce the visibility and priority of a specific point of sale products.
- Video loops. If the promotion is big and the potential for profits is high, think about running a video loop that describes the product and its benefits. Although the video isn't right for most small dollar figure point of sale products, they can be useful for products that are high end, high value, or high on your list of priorities.
- Electronic logos. It never hurts to requests electronic logos and other graphics from manufacturers. You can then use them to create your own attractive marketing resources to supplement point of sale merchandise displays.