Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Seymour, Texas
Are you starting a business in Seymour, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Seymour.
Is Becoming a Business Owner Right for You?
Running your own business is difficult, much more challenging than working as an employee. Are you certain you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Seymour. Get their take on what it's really like to be an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. That's the best way to get a truly objective assessment as to whether others think you have what it takes.
Seymour, Texas Demographic Information
Seymour has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Seymour demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Seymour.
As a new Seymour entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Seymour for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Franchising a Better Option?
As you drive around Seymour, you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as How to Find Financing for Franchises. Become a franchising expert of sorts by reading more of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Sample franchise opportunities include Cardsmart Retail Corporation and Cash Plus, Inc.. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Accounting Franchises and Textile Repair Franchises.
Note on Seymour Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Seymour.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Seymour Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Seymour.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
Forming a Company in Seymour, Texas
It's essential that you are forming a legal entity that operates independently from you. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you can incorporate wherever you want. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Pre-Incorporation Agreements. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Seymour, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is critical in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
As an entrepreneur in Seymour, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Seymour and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Seymour entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Seymour, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Seymour.
- Resources for Seymour, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Seymour entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs