California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Turlock, California
Thinking about starting a business in Turlock, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Turlock.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Before you get too far along in the process, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Turlock. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
Turlock, California Demographic Information
Turlock has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Turlock demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Turlock.
As a new Turlock entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Turlock for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Franchise?
As you drive around Turlock, you'll conclude that many business owners have opted to buy a franchise, rather than starting a business on their own. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you look into purchasing a franchise. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as The Disadvantages of Franchise Ownership. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
A comprehensive list of franchisors is available via our List of Franchise Opportunities.
Sample franchise opportunities include SportsLife and World Properties International. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Healthy Alternative Foods Franchises and Payroll Service Franchises.
Note on Turlock Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Turlock.
Is Buying an Existing Turlock Business a Good Strategy?
We've created a useful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you can assess several good businesses for sale in Turlock.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Selecting a Name For Your Startup
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Pick a company name that isn't too generic. If you do a search engine search for your proposed name and a billion results come up, you may want to reconsider the name. It's much easier to come up in the search engines when your name is fairly unique.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Branding Advice.
On a final note, given that you are planning on starting a business in Turlock, it's very important that you make sure no California company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Company Formation in Turlock, California
It's essential that you form your business as a legal structure. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
When forming a company, you will select one of many company types, such as a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you can incorporate wherever you want. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Incorporation Advice. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Turlock, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Turlock, California, you should check out some of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. Another way to keep up on your entrepreneurial education is to investigate Turlock networking organizations.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Turlock. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
We are here to help Turlock businesses to be successful. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Turlock entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Turlock, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Turlock.
- Resources for Turlock, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Turlock entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs