Becoming an Entrepreneur
Starting a Custom Clothing & Accessories Business
Thinking about opening a custom clothing and accessories business? This article discusses all the basic steps you need to think about before starting a custom clothing and accessories business.
Thinking about opening a custom clothing and accessories business? We tell you what you need to know to get started.
Characteristics of a Good Custom Clothing & Accessories Company Business Plan
Every business plan is unique. But if it's done right, your custom clothing and accessories business's plan should contain a handful of sound business plan elements:
- Mission Statement – Your description of your custom clothing and accessories business's reason for existing.
- Goals & Objectives – A list of mile markers on your custom clothing and accessories business's road to success.
- Financial, Marketing & Action Plans – Specific plans that describe your business environment, demographic targets and quantitative estimates.
Don't Overlook the Competition
Well in advance of opening a custom clothing and accessories business within your community, it's worthwhile to see what the competition looks like. Try our link below to generate a list of competitors in your area. Complete the form by entering your city, state and zip code to get a list of custom clothing and accessories businesses that are close by.
Before you open up shop, make sure you know what you will offer to your customers that provides a significant advantage over your competition's offering.
Learning More About the Industry
If you are seriously contemplating launching a custom clothing and accessories business, it's a smart move to learn from folks who are already in business. It's very unlikely that the local competition will talk to you. It'd be crazy for them to teach you the business.
But, a person who owns a custom clothing and accessories business in another town can be a great learning resource for you, once they realize that you are not going to directly compete with them in their community. Many business owners are happy to give advice to new entrepreneurs If you are persistent, you can find a business mentor who is willing to help you out.
The key question new becomes: how to find a custom clothing and accessories business entrepreneur who is willing to advise you because you live in different cities?
We can help. Follow the link below, try a few city/state combos or zipcodes, and then start calling!
Three Arguments for Buying a Custom Clothing & Accessories Business
At Gaebler, we think it makes a lot of sense to explore a custom clothing and accessories business purchase before committing to a startup.
You'll want to conduct a comprehensive due diligence process, but here are three arguments why you should think about buying instead of a startup.
- Initial Revenue. If you're careful in your research, the custom clothing and accessories business you buy will have a track record of profitability – a big plus since it may take months or even years for a startup to turn a profit.
- Operational Efficiency. When you're shopping for a custom clothing and accessories business, be sure to look for ones that have all of the necessary processes and systems to ensure seamless operations from your first day of ownership.
- Capital Acquisition. Lenders, investors and other funding sources almost always prefer business purchases to startups.
Consider Buying a Franchise
Being part of a network of franchisees makes it a certainty that you are exposed to proven ideas that have been tested and proven over time.
Prior to making the decision to open a custom clothing and accessories business, you would be wise to determine whether purchasing a franchise might alleviate your startup process.
The link below gives you access to our franchise directory so you can see if there's a franchise opportunity for you. You might even find something that points you in a completely different direction.
These interviews should be of interest to you.
Related Articles on Starting a Company
These additional resources regarding getting started as an entrepreneur may be of interest to you.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs