It's a common question that we are asked, so we thought we'd post a few ideas on how to generate website traffic.
Let's take a look at how you can get people to look at your Web site:
- Search Engine Optimization: Since most Web sites are found through search engines, search engine optimization, or SEO, is essential for generating traffic. The basic goal of SEO is to get your Web site to appear as high up as possible on search engines when people enter keywords relevant to your business. This requires an understanding of how search engines work, among other things.
- Blogging: Blogging is a very powerful tool for attracting and retaining viewers. It is a vehicle for you to present the human side of your business, as well as deliver messages quickly. Many large and small companies maintain at least one blog. You may have a CEO blog (like Whole Food's "The CEO blog-John Mackey") or an official company blog (like "The Official Google Blog").
- Podcasting: Podcasting is closely related to blogs. Podcasting has been gaining popularity recently as more and more people find it convenient to listen rather than read. Podcasting might help you expand the scope of your audience.
- Online Forums: An online forum is a platform for your customers to communicate with your business and with each other. Starting an online forum is an excellent way for you to engage your customers and for your customers to engage with each other. Forums are also an excellent way to retain viewers and enlist your customers to help you generate information.
- Local TV Advertising: Local TV advertising, generally speaking, isn't as expensive as you might think. If you decide to advertise your business on a local TV channel, make sure you display your business Web site as clearly as you would display your business telephone number.
- Social Networking: Social networks like MySpace and Facebook are excellent ways for you to promote your Web site. Social networking has grown tremendously and is the source of almost unlimited traffic. There are many social networks out there that target different niches, so make sure to do your research and start networking.