Over the past several years, there has been a steady uptick in the number of companies that use GPS fleet tracking solutions.
Designed companies that rely on drivers and vehicles for daily operations, tracking systems have developed a reputation for reducing costs and increasing fleet efficiency in small and medium-sized businesses.
Although most small business owners are primarily interested in the cost savings they'll achieve, fleet tracking systems offer many other benefits that are just as important. If you've ever toyed with the idea of implementing either a passive or real-time GPS tracking system in your fleet, here are a few of the benefits that might help make the decision for you.
- Lower fuel costs. GPS fleet tracking systems generate an immediate fuel savings of 15%. Why? Because drivers know that their activities are being monitored and less likely to engage in unauthorized side trips or downtime.
- More efficient routing. Real-time tracking systems give office personnel the ability to achieve dramatic improvements in driver routing and dispatching. Drivers in the field can be re-routed based on accurate, current locations that help minimize fuel waste and systemic inefficiencies.
- Elimination of personal vehicle use. It turns out that you were right to think that your fleet personnel sometimes conduct personal activities or schedule downtime during business hours. In addition to improved full efficiency, studies have demonstrated that tracking systems increase productivity by as much as 40 minutes/day per driver.
- Better recordkeeping. An effective GPS tracking solution means that you'll never have to slog through pages of drivers logs again. Instead, you'll have a highly accurate record of time and mileage that can become the basis for precise customer invoices or integrated with existing business management software applications.
- Fleet safety. Many small business owners aren't aware of the fact that today's fleet tracking solutions monitor not only location, but also vehicle speed and aggressive driving practices. The data you gather from your solution can be transferred to the driver's permanent record and used as a basis for disciplinary action.
- Theft recovery. In the unlikely event that a vehicle is stolen, real-time fleet tracking can provide valuable information to law enforcement and improve the odds of recovering your vehicle.