The most up-to-date GPS fleet tracking solutions come with an array of services and features.
More than anything else, a quality fleet tracking solution is tasked with reporting your fleet's location and performance. Today's solutions do that – but they also offer other available features that are designed to create a more efficient and accountable fleet of drivers.
- Dashboard UI. Convenience is key to usage in fleet tracking systems. Best of breed solutions provide dashboard user interfaces that are easy to use and display an overview of your fleet on a single screen.
- Mapping. User interfaces that include a map of your coverage area are critical for companies who have the need to route drivers or track fleet assets in real time. Unscheduled pickups or service calls can be quickly covered by the closest available vehicles.
- Mobile access. Although it's not realistic to manage a large fleet from a PDA, it's possible to use your mobile device as a window into your fleet status. Some solutions offer mobile access features that let you monitor your fleet from anywhere in the world.
- System alerts. Automated alert features create e-mail or system-wide alerts to cover a variety of circumstances involving vehicle performance and location tracking. If the driver goes outside the designated area or if a vehicle breaks down, there are features to let you know in real time.
- Software integration. Software integration isn't available with every solution. But if it's important to you, you can find solutions that offer seamless integration with Maintenance Management (MM) software or other applications.
- Reporting. Real-time tracking systems provide variable reporting interval based on your needs and budget. You can receive updates at intervals ranging from 10 seconds to five minutes; more frequent updates result in more accurate reporting.
- Over-the-air programming. Over-the-air programming is a much bigger deal than it sounds. Like most technology, onboard devices require periodic programming updates. Unless you want to experience downtime for service, make sure your solution offers a feature that allows it to be updated remotely.