The ideal work from home situation involves a separate office space and complete peace and quiet.
Many people venture into being an entrepreneur to find this work at home haven. The trouble that most people soon discover is that this ideal luxury is not a reality.
Most work from home entrepreneurs have an office that sits directly in the center of the chaos of the family. At the very best the office space sits snuggled in the back corner of the house. The key to a successful work at home opportunity lies in finding the system and the spot that works best for you.
Tips to Make the Most of Working at Home
1. Plan to do the work that requires the most focus during those hours when the house stays quiet (or the quietest that it gets). Getting up early or staying up later may be the only way to accomplish the task. The times when the house stays active can be used to clear out the email boxes, sort files or do other organizing or mundane activities.
2. Make a schedule the whole family can read. Family often forgets that you are working when you are just around the corner or sitting in the room next door. Posting a calendar or work schedule on your door or office space will help them remember and also help you to stay on track with your work.
3. Set up an answering machine to screen your calls. Splurge on caller I.D. as well. You can cut back on the distractions of mid-day calls by friends and neighbors but still get back to them when you have completed your work day.
4. Create a separate office space. Having an area, no matter how large or small, that you only utilize for work will not only give you some breaks when tax time approaches but it will help you step out of home mode into work mode.
5. Determine work to be a priority. There will ALWAYS be something in the house or around the house that needs to be done. Work during the hours that you set up for work and then do the household chores during other hours of the day or week.
Becoming a work at home entrepreneur can be a blessing, but it also presents many unique challenges. Creating a successful work at home experience may require a little flexibility in when you work or where you work. Taking the time to plan out your work space and your work day will help you make working at home work out for your specific needs.
Entrepreneurs are known for being able to make things work when others might give up. Finding creative ways to make the work at home experience ideal for your needs will be one more obstacle that you can overcome on your way to your entrepreneurial success.