Maryland Minimum Wage
What are Minimum Wages in Maryland?
What's the minimum wage in Maryland? For entrepreneurs and small business owners with employees, it's important to know whether your state has a minimum wage law. Information on minimum wages can be tough to find so we've done the research for you. Here's the minimum wage for Maryland.
As of January 1, 2021, minimum wage in Maryland is $11.75.
Maryland is one of 45 states that have enacted minimum wage laws.
Maryland's minimum wage was identical to the Federal minimum wage rate of $7.25 for many years, but has steadily climbed.
It rose to $8.00 in January 2015, to $8.25 in July 2015, to $8.75 in July 2016, to $9.25 in July 2017, and then to $10.10 in July 2018.
By January 2020, it was at $11.00, and it bumped to its current rate of $11.75 per hour, effective January 1, 2021.
It is scheduled to rise to $12.50 per hour in January 2022.
Not every Maryland employer is required to pay minimum wage. Maryland's minimum wage exemptions can include:
- Certain agricultural employees
- Executives, administrative, and professional employees
- Volunteers for educational, charitable, religious, and non-profit organizations
- Employees under 16 working less than 20 hours per week
- Outside salesman
- Commissioned employees
- Employees enrolled as a trainee as part of a public school special education program
- Non-administrative employees of organized camps
- Certain establishments selling food and drink for consumption on the premises grossing less than $400,000 annually
- Drive-in theaters
- Establishments engaged in the first canning, packing or freezing of fruits, vegetables, poultry, or seafood
Please realize that the Maryland minimum wages cited above may have changed since we posted this minimum wage information. State minimum wages can change because new laws are enacted or because old laws contained scheduled increases. You should also be aware that state law often exempts particular company types, occupations and industries. To get the latest minimum wages for Maryland, visit www.dol.gov .
Last Updated: January 4, 2021.
Need to find minimum wages by state? Just browse our minimum wages information pages:
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs
We greatly appreciate any advice you can provide on this topic. Please contribute your insights on this topic so others can benefit.