Vermont Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Burlington, Vermont
Need help starting a business in Burlington, Vermont? We've got the information you need to open a business in Burlington.
Is Becoming a Business Owner Right for You?
Most new businesses do not succeed, in part because the entrepreneur did not have the perseverance and abilities that are necessary to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Burlington. Get their take on what it's really like to be an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. That's the best way to get a truly objective assessment as to whether others think you have what it takes.
Burlington, Vermont Demographic Information
Burlington has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Burlington demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Burlington.
As a new Burlington entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Burlington for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Burlington Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in Vermont. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Burlington.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Buying a Business.
Raising Funding for Your Business
Getting your Burlington business the capital it needs to succeed requires strong organization skills and perseverance. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
Fortunately, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Business Incubators.
Ramping Up Sales
Mastering the art of selling is a must if you want your new Burlington business to do well.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Good business owners recognize that they need to continually improve.
Given that you are starting a business in Burlington, Vermont, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Vermont universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Burlington entrepreneurs.
Most new Burlington businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Burlington and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Burlington, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Burlington, Vermont
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Burlington.
- Resources for Burlington, Vermont Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Burlington entrepreneurs.
- Vermont Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Vermont.
- Vermont Small Business Development Center - The mission of Vermont Small Business Development Centers is to strengthen existing business entities and assist start-ups with high-quality, no-cost counseling and affordable training programs.
More Business Startup Guides for Vermont
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs