California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Dos Palos, California
Thinking about starting a business in Dos Palos, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Dos Palos.
Do You Have What It Takes?
Before quitting your day job, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Dos Palos. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
What Business Are You Starting?
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Business Ideas That Don't Make Sense.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Pediatric Urology Physicians & Surgeons Practice guide or our How to Start a Tourist Information & Attractions Business guide.
Don't forget that your new startup will be located in Dos Palos. If Dos Palos already has plenty of the kind of business you want to start, you might want to change your plans. Study Dos Palos demographics and do a competitive analysis as part of your startup planning process.
Dos Palos, California Demographic Information
Dos Palos has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Dos Palos demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Dos Palos.
As a new Dos Palos entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Dos Palos for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Even if the name doesn't do it by itself, many naming experts believe there should be a story behind the name that ties into your company mission.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Branding Advice.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are opening a business in Dos Palos, it's very important that you make sure no California company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Forming a Company in Dos Palos, California
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very common way to legally create a business entity. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Registered Agents. You may also want to seek the advice of an lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Dos Palos, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
Creating a business plan is essential in laying a solid foundation for your business success. In effect, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Not having a business plan
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
The best entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Dos Palos, California, you should investigate some of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. Another way to keep up on your entrepreneurial education is to investigate networking organizations for Dos Palos entrepreneurs.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Dos Palos. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Dos Palos and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Dos Palos, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Dos Palos.
- Resources for Dos Palos, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Dos Palos entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs