Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Garland, Texas
Are you starting a business in Garland, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Garland.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Finding Your Niche in Life.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Brass & Brass Products Wholesale & Manufacturers Business guide or our Starting a Glass Furniture Tops Business guide.
Remember that you are starting a business in Garland. The business you want to start may already be well-represented in Garland. Make sure you fully understand Garland demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Garland, Texas Demographic Information
Garland has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Garland demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Garland.
As a new Garland entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Garland for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
As you drive around Garland, you may be surprised to see how many franchises there are in the area. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you evaluate the possibility of your buying a franchise opportunity. To help you learn more about franchising, we've gathered a ton of articles on franchising, including Before Buying a Franchise. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
You can review hundreds of franchise opportunities by browing our Franchise Directory.
Representative franchise opportunities include Super Wash, Inc. and The Coffee Beanery, Ltd.. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Child Care Franchises and Home Services Franchises.
Note on Garland Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Garland.
What About Buying an Existing Garland Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Garland.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Buying a Business.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are planning on starting a business in Garland, it's imperative that you check now that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
A business plan is essential in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If writing a business plan is on your to-do list, be sure to read Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Successful business owners recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Garland, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Texas universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Garland entrepreneurs.
Most new Garland businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Garland and elsewhere to achieve real success. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Garland, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Garland, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Garland.
- Resources for Garland, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Garland entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs