Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Irving, Texas
Are you starting a business in Irving, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Irving.
Irving, Texas Demographic Information
Irving has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Irving demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Irving.
As a new Irving entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Irving for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Franchising a Better Option?
Browse the Yellow Pages for Irving and you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our recommendation is that you look into purchasing a franchise. We have many articles on franchises, such as Costs of Franchise Ownership. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
A comprehensive list of franchisors is available via our List of Franchise Opportunities.
Note on Irving Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Irving.
Is Buying an Existing Irving Business a Good Strategy?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Irving.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Buying a Business.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are opening a business in Irving, it's critical that you ensure that you will be the only Texas company using the business name you have chosen.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
Writing a business plan is critical in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Not having a business plan will greatly reduce your chances of business success.
Before you start writing a business plan, we suggest you skim Find Sample Business Plans Online. You should also take advantage of free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Good entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
With your business being located in Irving, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Texas universities, colleges and community colleges. We also recommend you look into networking organizations for Irving entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Irving, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Irving and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Irving entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Irving, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Irving.
- Resources for Irving, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Irving entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for Texas Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs