Colorado Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Lamar, Colorado
Are you starting a business in Lamar, Colorado? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Lamar.
Do You Have Entrepreneurial Drive and Passion?
Before quitting your day job, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Grab a meal or cofee with other entrepreneurs in Lamar. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- Take a look at Starting a Company. It's a short article but it's a good reality check for those are about to jump into the world of entrepreneurship.
- Talk it over with a close friend or partner. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Lamar, Colorado Demographic Information
Lamar has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Lamar demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Lamar.
As a new Lamar entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Lamar for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Business
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Before you decide on a company name, run it by some prospective customers and see what they think. If they don't like it, it's probably a good idea to go back to the drawing board.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Lamar, it's very important that you make sure no other Colorado company is using the business name you want to use.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is vital in laying a solid foundation for your business success. In effect, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Marketing Your New Venture
Whether your goal is to attract Lamar customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn all about marketing on our site. Six Tips for Getting Customer Testimonials is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
The Art of Selling
Being able to sell is critical to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Lamar or are selling to customers throughout Colorado, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Good selling involves demonstrating that your wares meet your customer's needs. The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Lamar. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Lamar businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Lamar, Colorado
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Lamar.
- Resources for Lamar, Colorado Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Lamar entrepreneurs.
- Colorado Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Colorado.
- Colorado Small Business Development Center - The Colorado Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Network is dedicated to helping small businesses throughout Colorado achieve their goals by providing free confidential counseling and various training programs.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Colorado
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs