Maryland Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Largo, Maryland
Thinking about starting a business in Largo, Maryland? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Largo.
Are You Ready for Life as an Owner?
Before you get too far along in the process, consider your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Largo. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Before you decide on a company name, run it by some prospective customers and see what they think. If they don't like it, it's probably a good idea to go back to the drawing board.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are opening a business in Largo, it's very important that you make sure no other Maryland company is using the business name you want to use.
Raising Capital for Your Company
Getting your Largo business the capital it needs to succeed will be harder than you might expect. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as Only Idiots Send Venture Capitalists Business Plans.
Getting the Word Out About Your New Company
To grow your Largo business, you need a solid marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Yellow Pages Advertising Advice is a good read to get your marketing thoughts flowing. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Largo, Maryland, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Maryland universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Largo networking organizations.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Largo. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Largo and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Largo, Maryland
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Largo.
- Resources for Largo, Maryland Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Largo entrepreneurs.
- Maryland Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Maryland.
- Maryland Small Business Development Center - The Maryland Small Business Development Center Network has six regional offices and more than 20 locations where Maryland entrepreneurs can receive comprehensive, resources and relevant assistance.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Maryland
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs