Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Leonard, Texas
Are you starting a business in Leonard, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Leonard.
Is Becoming an Entrepreneur Right for You?
Most new businesses don't make it, in part because the founder did not have the entrepreneurial skills and traits needed to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Leonard. Get their take on what it's really like to be an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. That's the best way to get a truly objective assessment as to whether others think you have what it takes.
Leonard, Texas Demographic Information
Leonard has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Leonard demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Leonard.
As a new Leonard entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Leonard for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Buying an Existing Leonard Business a Good Strategy?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Leonard.
If you are going to be buying a business, you may want to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
Selecting a Name For Your Venture
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Leonard, it's imperative that you check now that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
A business plan is critical to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If you want more information on writing business plans, we recommend reading Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
Raising Money for Your Business
Getting your Leonard business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
Fortunately, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled SBIR Funding.
Most new Leonard businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Leonard businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Leonard, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Leonard.
- Resources for Leonard, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Leonard entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs