Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Laredo, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Laredo, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Laredo.
Laredo, Texas Demographic Information
Laredo has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Laredo demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Laredo.
As a new Laredo entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Laredo for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Laredo Business?
We've created a useful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Laredo.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: Buying a Business.
Naming the Business
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names should be fun to say, and they should help people to understand what you do and how you differentiate yourself in the market.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Laredo, it's very important that you make sure no Texas company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Forming a Company in Laredo, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you can incorporate wherever you want. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Why Incorporate in Delaware. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Laredo, Texas, our web page covering Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
A business plan is essential in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
The best entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
Given that you are starting a business in Laredo, Texas, you should investigate some of the learning programs at local Texas educational institutions. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate Laredo networking organizations.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Laredo. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Laredo businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Laredo, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Laredo.
- Resources for Laredo, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Laredo entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for Texas Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs