Connecticut Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Madison, Connecticut
Need help starting a business in Madison, Connecticut? We've got the information you need to open a business in Madison.
Do You Have Entrepreneurial Drive and Passion?
Running your own business is demanding, and can be orders of magnitude more strenuous than working as an employee. Are you sure you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Reach out to other entrepreneurs in Madison. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- Peruse Why Small Businesses Fail. This is one of our more popular articles for folks who want to go into business for themselves.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Madison, Connecticut Demographic Information
Madison has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Madison demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Madison.
As a new Madison entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Madison for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Franchising?
As you drive around Madison, it's apparent that franchising has become a very popular way to start a business. Is franchising maybe a better way for you to start your business?
Our recommendation is that you consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Benefits of Owning A Franchise. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Madison Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Madison.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Madison Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Connecticut. Follow that link and you can assess several good businesses for sale in Madison.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
Picking a Company Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are opening a business in Madison, it's critical that you ensure that no Connecticut company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
The best entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Madison, Connecticut, you should check out some of the many programs available at nearby Connecticut universities, colleges and community colleges. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate networking groups or organizations in which Madison entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
Now It's Up To You
As an entrepreneur in Madison, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Madison and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Madison entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Madison, Connecticut
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Madison.
- Resources for Madison, Connecticut Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Madison entrepreneurs.
- Connecticut Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Connecticut.
- Connecticut Small Business Development Center - Central Connecticut State University's Institute of Technology and Business Development (ITBD) supports Connecticut businesses and business-related organizations with training, technology assistance, conferencing services, procurement services and business incubation.
More Business Startup Guides for Connecticut
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs