California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Ukiah, California
Thinking about starting a business in Ukiah, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Ukiah.
What Business to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Good Business Ideas.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Clothing & Accessories Brokers Business guide or our How to Start a Stencils & Stenciling Supplies Business guide.
Don't forget that you are starting a business in Ukiah. Some businesses will do better in Ukiah than others. A critical consideration is whether Ukiah demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Ukiah, California Demographic Information
Ukiah has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Ukiah demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Ukiah.
As a new Ukiah entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Ukiah for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Franchise?
Examine a list of Ukiah businesses and you'll conclude that many business owners have opted to buy a franchise, rather than starting a business on their own. Is franchising maybe a better way for you to start your business?
Our advice is to consider franchising as an option. On our site, you can read many articles about franchising, such as Benefits of Owning A Franchise. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Representative franchise opportunities include Petland and P.B. Loco Peanutbutterlicious Cafes. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Training and Education Franchises and IT Franchises.
Note on Ukiah Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Ukiah.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Ukiah Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you can review several good businesses for sale in Ukiah.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
Getting Money to Start a Business
Finding the funds to fuel the growth of your Ukiah business is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
Fortunately, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Bank Credit Lines.
Bring in Revenues
Being able to sell is fundamental to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Ukiah or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
The key to selling is to set sales goals goals and monitor your progress towards those goals. Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
Good entrepreneurs know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
With your business being located in Ukiah, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. We also recommend you look into networking groups or organizations in which Ukiah entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Ukiah. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Ukiah and throughout the United States . We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Ukiah entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Ukiah, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Ukiah.
- Resources for Ukiah, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Ukiah entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs