Florida Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Weston, Florida
Are you starting a business in Weston, Florida? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Weston.
Are You Ready for the Challenges of Being an Entrepreneur?
Most new ventures fail, in part because the business owner did not have the perseverance and abilities that are necessary to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Weston. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are planning on starting a business in Weston, it's imperative that you check now that no other Florida company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Weston, Florida
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Among other things, forming a legal entity for the business limits your liabilities.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in Florida, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in Florida. In fact, you can incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Subchapter S Corporations. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Weston, Florida, our information on Incorporating in Florida may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Florida.
Getting the Word Out About Your New Venture
To rise above the crowd in Weston and build your business, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your successs.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Advertising in Magazines discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful business owners recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Weston, Florida, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Florida educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Weston entrepreneurs.
Never Give Up
Most new Weston businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Weston and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Weston, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Weston, Florida
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Weston.
- Resources for Weston, Florida Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Weston entrepreneurs.
- Florida Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Florida.
- Florida Small Business Development Center - The Florida Small Business Development Center Network (FSBDCN) is a statewide economic development partnership between higher education and other stakeholder organizations dedicated to providing entrepreneurs and established businesses with the assistance needed to start, grow and succeed, contributing to the Florida economy.
More Startup Articles for Florida Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs