Video Editing Software Buying Guide
Video editing software sounds like a great addition to your company's business video production efforts. Our video editing software buying guide will tell you everything you need to know to find the right product for your business.
Navigating the video editing software market is not for the faint of heart.
Novice videographers find themselves quickly overwhelmed by feature descriptions and terminology, not to mention the sheer number of video software providers willing to make big promises at rock bottom prices.
As you might expect, many of the video editing solutions you will encounter aren't capable of delivering the kind of functionality you need to produce professional business videos. However, you don't need to invest in professional-grade video editing software to create high quality business videos. The key is to understand both the marketplace and your video editing requirements before you start shopping.
As you begin your search, be prepared to encounter a wide range of solutions. Some video editing software applications are free, while others cost thousands of dollars and may require significant hardware upgrades. But with a little research, you can narrow down your choices to a handful of video software packages that meet your production requirements - and our video editing software buying guide will help you get started.
- Evaluate usability. The user interface should be your first consideration when evaluating a video editing software application. A sophisticated, feature-rich solution may look good from a distance, but if it's not navigable by average users you won't get much ROI because it will intimidate your staff. Aim for a solution with the right combination of features and usability.
- Consider project requirements. At some point you will need to clarify the kinds of projects you will create with your editing software. If you only occasionally create short videos for your website, you can get by with a basic editing solution. But if high-quality video content is an integral part of your marketing strategy, you'll need to invest in a solution with more features and benefits.
- Try a free solution. To get your feet wet and establish a point of reference, you may want to download one of the many free video editing solutions available online. Although you will probably end up buying a higher quality software package, free solutions can help generate a list of questions you will need answered when you shop for a premium application.
- Test drive frontrunners. Most video software solutions let you test drive a version before you commit to a purchase. The sample software may not include all of the same features as the original, but it will give you a sense of the solution before you pay to unlock the software.
- User support? Be sure to ask about customer support before you make a purchase. Video editing can be technical and you can quickly find yourself in over your head. When that happens, it's comforting to know that help is only a phone call or a mouse click away.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs