Writing White Papers for Broader Success
Written by Brenda Stokes for Gaebler Ventures
You see a lot of businesses writing white papers. They do this because it helps provide them for broader success. With this said, how can you write white papers to make your business more successful?
Many businesses engage in the practice of writing white papers.
They do this because there are a number of tasks that are completed. The first is that a white paper can introduce their unique technology or product as innovative. The second is that they are able to specify why their solution to the consumer's problem is unique and advantageous.
Are you ready to write a white paper for your business? When writing white papers your focus is on how what you are offering is the solution that everyone has been waiting for. You are emphasizing that a need that they have can be met with what you have, but you are not to focus too much on the hype surrounding your product. Hype can be a turnoff.
How to write white papers
There is a method to be used when writing white papers. That method is:
- Make sure your abstract, executive summary, or overview is well developed. This is done by capturing your audience's attention from the beginning. You want the reader to keep reading. Keep in mind, however, that busy individuals may skip to the end to read the conclusion and make an assumption about the entire paper by doing this.
- Point out the problem being faced by the reader. Demonstrate in two or three paragraphs that you understand the reader's problem. You know what challenges they are facing. Don't make assumptions, don't be overly technical, and state that you know some things cannot be avoided. This is also where your main objective will be identified.
- Describe what you're offering. Whether you are offering a product or a service, you must describe it. Discuss what made you decide upon a design or method, testing, reliability, industry standards, ease of use, and best practices. You may want to have a graphic designer illustrate labeled diagrams for you if you cannot incorporate such visual aids on your own.
- State how your product or service solves the previously discussed problems. Show evidence that their problem can be solved. Do this by using testimonials and case studies. You can also talk about developments and timelines.
- White papers should always have a solid conclusion. Make sure your main advantages are summarized. These are the same advantages that you will introduce in your abstract or introduction. Since many may find themselves to be too busy to read the entire paper, they may skip to the end. This means saying everything the white paper is about in as few words as possible.
White paper writing is a must
White paper writing is necessary when you want your business to see a broader range of success. When you write a white paper for the first time you may find that it is somewhat challenging, but it will get easier as you go. Don't let the challenge to write a white paper keep you from doing so.
Brenda is a graduate of California State University and a professional writer covering a variety of business topics. To learn more about Brenda, check out her website at The Digital Inkwell.
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs