A consumer electronics purchase can be a scary proposition.
For starters, the products aren't cheap. You can quickly drop $500-$1,000 or more on a midrange product offering. And to make your purchase more complicated, the retailers who sell these products often lack the expertise you need to make an informed purchasing decision.
Digital camera purchasing can be especially tricky since the wrong camera can dramatically affect the quality of the images you rely on for your print and/or web marketing efforts. To stay on the right side of a digital camera purchase, there are a handful of business digital camera purchasing mistakes you'll want to avoid at all costs.
- No research. A digital camera purchase should never be an impulse buy. Many product offerings look similar, but deliver radically different results. Take your time, do your research and go into the purchasing process with confidence.
- Money vs.quality issues. Most people automatically assume that higher prices indicate better quality. For some products, that's not a bad assumption. But when it comes to digital business cameras, higher prices don't necessarily translate into a more reliable product. Explore the technical features of each camera before you start comparing costs.
- Wrong specifications. You can't effectively navigate the purchasing process until you have a clear understanding of what you need your digital camera to do. For example, cameras with lower pixel counts are fine for websites, but not for print media. Make sure the camera you purchase has the specifications required for its primary use in your business.
- Wrong type of camera. Digital SLR cameras offer tons of features and options for experienced photographers. But the average amateur photographer is intimidated by SLRs. If you expect your company's digital camera to be used by inexperienced or on-the-go staff members, choose a compact digital camera instead.
- Unknown manufacturers. Don't select a no-name manufacturer just to save a few bucks. Quality definitely counts in the digital camera industry. If you don't recognize the brand name, move on to a product that has been manufactured by a company that inspires more confidence and offers greater brand security.