Ohio Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Cleveland, Ohio
Need help starting a business in Cleveland, Ohio? We've got the information you need to open a business in Cleveland.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Being an entrepreneur is demanding, much harder than working as an employee. Are you sure you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Cleveland. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
Which Business to Choose?
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Free Business Ideas.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Bakers' Equipment & Supplies Dealership guide or our Opening a Fire Trucks Wholesale & Manufacturers Business guide.
Always keep in mind that your new startup will be located in Cleveland. Some businesses will do better in Cleveland than others. Only by spending some time analyzing Cleveland demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
Cleveland, Ohio Demographic Information
Cleveland has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Cleveland demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Cleveland.
As a new Cleveland entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Cleveland for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
Writing a business plan is essential in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Not having a business plan will greatly reduce your chances of business success.
Startup Financing Basics
Getting your Cleveland business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
The good news is this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Business Incubators.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Successful entrepreneurs know that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Cleveland, Ohio, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Ohio universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Cleveland networking organizations.
Some Interesting Cleveland Entrepreneurs
Here, we'll keep a running list of interviews we've had with Cleveland entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Cleveland, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Cleveland businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Cleveland, Ohio
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Cleveland.
- Resources for Cleveland, Ohio Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Cleveland entrepreneurs.
- Ohio Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Ohio.
- Ohio Small Business Development Center - Whether you're starting your business, expanding your business, or just looking to stay in business, the Small Business Development Centers of Ohio (SBDCs of Ohio) can help with professional guidance by connecting you with research, financing sources, and training opportunities.
More Startup Articles for Ohio Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs