Thinking about starting a business in Clipper Mills, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Clipper Mills.
Do You Have Entrepreneurial Drive and Passion?
Running your own business is hard work, much more arduous than working as an employee. Are you positive you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Clipper Mills. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- You should read The Entrepreneurial Personality. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Reach out to a trusted acquaintance. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Which Business to Choose?
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. We recommend that you read Evaluating Your Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Dance Club guide or our Starting a Tatoo Parlor guide.
Remember that starting a business in Clipper Mills has some implications. Some businesses will do better in Clipper Mills than others. Only by spending some time analyzing Clipper Mills demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
As a new Clipper Mills entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Clipper Mills for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
As you drive around Clipper Mills, you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. Should you be giving franchising serious consideration?
Most business experts recommend that you consider franchising as an option. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as Franchising My Business. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
You can review hundreds of franchise opportunities by browing our Franchise Directory.
Representative franchise opportunities include Subway Franchises and Starbucks Franchises. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Accounting Franchises and Moving Franchises.
Note on Clipper Mills Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Clipper Mills.
What About Buying an Existing Clipper Mills Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you can review several good businesses for sale in Clipper Mills.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: Buying a Business.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are starting a business in Clipper Mills, it's critical that you ensure that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Clipper Mills, California
It's very important that you form your business as a legal structure. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. As it turns out, you can incorporate wherever you want. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the basics of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as Avoiding Personal Liability in Business. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Clipper Mills, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is vital to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
To learn more about business plans, read Business Plan Contests. You should also take advantage of free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in California.
Raising Capital for Your Company
Getting your Clipper Mills business the capital it needs to succeed is a difficult chore. In fact, financing your new business may be the hardest challenge you ever face.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as 504 Loans.
For Clipper Mills entrepreneurs in need of startup financing, check out our List of California Angel Investors and our List of California Venture Capital Firms.
Marketing Your New Company
To rise above the crowd in Clipper Mills and advance your business, you need a great marketing plan.
You can learn quite a bit about marketing on our site. Business Cards is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. That's just a taste of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
The Art of Selling
Do you know how to sell? In order to attract customers to your new Clipper Mills business, you need to focus on sales.
Not knowing how to sell can result in lost customers and minimal market share. Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Writing Great Proposals offers some helpful tips on how to sell. It's one of several good articles on our site regarding Entrepreneurial Selling.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
The best entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Clipper Mills, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also beneficial to see if there are any networking groups or organizations in which Clipper Mills entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
Now It's Up To You
As an entrepreneur in Clipper Mills, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Clipper Mills businesses to be successful. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Clipper Mills entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Clipper Mills, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Clipper Mills.
- Resources for Clipper Mills, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Clipper Mills entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.