Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Crawford, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Crawford, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Crawford.
Are You Ready for Life as an Owner?
Most startup businesses don't make it, in part because the entrepreneur did not have the perseverance and abilities that are necessary to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Crawford. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Crawford, Texas Demographic Information
Crawford has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Crawford demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Crawford.
As a new Crawford entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Crawford for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Franchising?
As you drive around Crawford, you may be surprised to see how many franchises there are in the area. But is franchising the right option for you?
Most business experts recommend that you evaluate the possibility of your buying a franchise opportunity. We have many articles on franchises, such as Franchise Due Diligence. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Crawford Franchise Opportunities: To find out if a franchise you are interested in is available in Crawford, you will need to get in direct contact with the franchisor.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Pick a company name that isn't too generic. If you do a search engine search for your proposed name and a billion results come up, you may want to reconsider the name. It's much easier to come up in the search engines when your name is fairly unique.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Crawford, it's imperative that you check now that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Crawford, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Among other things, forming a legal entity for the business limits your liabilities.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate wherever you want. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Company Formation. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Crawford, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Raising Money for Your New Venture
Getting your Crawford business the capital it needs to succeed is a difficult chore. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
Fortunately, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled How Equity Dilution Works.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Crawford, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Texas educational institutions. It's also wise to see if there are any networking organizations for Crawford entrepreneurs.
Never Give Up
Most new Crawford businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Crawford and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Crawford, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Crawford, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Crawford.
- Resources for Crawford, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Crawford entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs