Wyoming Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Jackson, Wyoming
Contemplating starting a business in Jackson, Wyoming? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Jackson.
Are You Ready for Life as an Owner?
Before you get too far along in the process, consider your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Jackson. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Jackson, Wyoming Demographic Information
Jackson has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Jackson demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Jackson.
As a new Jackson entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Jackson for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Company Formation in Jackson, Wyoming
It's very important that you form your business as a legal structure. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in Wyoming, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in Wyoming. As it turns out, you can incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Dissolving a Corporation. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Jackson, Wyoming, our information on Incorporating in Wyoming may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Wyoming.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is critical in maximizing the prospects of your new company. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Getting the Word Out About Your New Startup
To grow your Jackson business, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your beating the competition.
There are myriad resources on this site to help you with your marketing plan. Local Search is a good read to get your marketing thoughts flowing. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
The best business owners know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Jackson, Wyoming, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Wyoming educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Jackson entrepreneurs.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Jackson. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Jackson and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Jackson, Wyoming
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Jackson.
- Resources for Jackson, Wyoming Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Jackson entrepreneurs.
- Wyoming Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Wyoming.
- Wyoming Small Business Development Center - The Wyoming Small Business Development Center provides free and confidential consulting services to individual businesses, offers various products online of specific use to various businesses, sponsors affordable educational programs targeted at the small business community, and maintains links with various business resources throughout Wyoming and the nation.
More Business Startup Guides for Wyoming
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs